Coffee or Other Energy Boosters

mevoila86
on 11/21/14 10:35 pm

So, I'm six weeks out and today I would normally be sleeping in and recuperating from a long week at work. Instead, I am up again and working all day today at a conference. As I sit in the lobby waiting for my colleagues, I'm about to fall back asleep. I know I'm supposed to stay away from the coffee, but I just might break down today. Does anyone have any other solves for this? Are there any supplements or beverages I can have that will help me stay strong?

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

Eggface
on 11/21/14 11:03 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Different programs have different rules on caffeine. I was OK'd at 1 month. Some are OK'd after a few months. Some people are told never again (some Dr's are sadists LOL) the majority it seems say moderation after a period without. 

I would ask your Dr first before going rogue ;) 6 weeks... limited nutrition makes your body want to store and reduce energy (think bears in hibernation), body healing still. Be sure to take B12 and Iron... that will help energy levels too.

Lots of protein shakes have a hit of caffeine. I love Chike High Protein Iced Coffee (I do a starbucks sort of blended shake with it: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/07/post- weight-loss-surgery-menus-day-in_9.html ) you get your whey protein and a little espresso bang for your buck. Maybe show your Dr the product info and ask for the thumbs up.

Hope your day goes well!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

SUMO96
on 11/21/14 11:25 pm - Dorado, Puerto Rico

My Dr. Is a coffee drinker so he allowed me to have it one week post op.  His biggest concern was dehydration (coffee is a diuretic ) so he only allowed it once I was drinking 64oz liquid.  I am now experimenting adding protein powders in my coffee so it can cover my whole breakfast needs.

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

poet_kelly
on 11/22/14 5:04 am - OH

According to the Mayo Clinic and many other sources, caffeine does NOT cause dehydration.  I don't know why doctors keep spreading that myth but it's just not true.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MAchick
on 11/21/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

When my energy is down, I really try to focus on drinking extra water. And I drink it as cold as I can. I also drink coffee,  but I was given the ok from my surgeon. The other thing people forget about coffee is how acidic it can be. 

SUMO96
on 11/22/14 1:12 am - Dorado, Puerto Rico

MAchick, I agree with the extra water being a priority.  But, coffee high acidity is in its taste value and not in its actual PH value.  It has a value of about 5.0 which is similar to Bananas and cooked carrots. It is a very common misconception that coffee is involved in ulcers because of the acid taste value.  The actual PH does not support that.  For example tomato sauce and ketchup has a lower ph (more acidic) than coffee, yet have a sweeter taste value.  An experiment you can do at home is trying to polish silver with ketchup then try it with black coffee. 

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

MAchick
on 11/22/14 1:32 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Yes, you are right on the acidity level of coffee. Maybe what I should have said, is that coffee can irritate the stomach and stimulate it to produce more acid. In a lot of people, and even more so in some WLS patients, that can be very uncomfortable and cause a lot of pain.

bgaylz
on 11/22/14 2:31 am

I was told to drink decaf only

poet_kelly
on 11/22/14 5:06 am - OH

Why are you supposed to stay away from coffee?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 11/22/14 5:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I was allowed coffee from day 1 after surgery. Every doctor is different in what they recommend. The nutritionist suggested not more than 2 per day, but that's not even in the doc's paperwork. I guess my doc is a coffee drinker.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active