Something I never imagined would help me.

gigemgarcia
on 11/24/14 5:44 am, edited 11/24/14 5:45 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I am on week two of my three-week preoperative diet of clear liquids and vegetables. I am craving food (in particular an egg sandwich... odd) like crazy! Thursday night, as I was folding the laundry, my husband absentmindedly chowed down on his dinner right next to me, in the middle of the living room. At first, I was upset that he was so inconsiderate (he apologized profusely once he realized what he had done), but then I realized that I felt very satisfied to watch him eat, it was just the smell driving me crazy. So I opened up Netflix and put on an episode of Chopped. Watching those people cook and eat made me feel like I was eating it (without the agonizing scent of delicious food) and began to scratch my itch. Today on my lunch break, I was feeling quite empty after my protein shake was gone... so I looked up youtube videos of people eating delicious foods, and my cravings went away! I am sure this does not work for everyone. I would think it wouldn't work for anyone. In Korea, there is a saying that basically means, "I am full just by watching you eat." It is something my mom would say to me and my brothers when we were particularly enjoying a meal she cooked. I think it must be true for me too! Does anyone else do this or have any other surprising or weird ways to trick the mind out of cravings?

Sunny_One
on 11/24/14 5:52 am

You know what? I had the same experience the other day.  I am 12 days post op RNY and live with my Aunt.  She had cooked kielbasa and mashed potatoes.  Ohh it smelled wonderful!  But I found myself content to just sit there, and inhale it.  It was satisfying, and not mind-numbing like... "Oh God I need to stuff my face with that right now!!"  Im finding ways to change my relationship with food.

I also had another incident where I just WANTED a cheeseburger.  But then I realized it was just my brain that wanted the cheeseburger, not my tummy.  Im learning what is just all in my mind...

Best of luck to you!

-Michelle

Han Shot First
on 11/24/14 11:12 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Wow, good for you for trying that trick.  I used to love the Food Network, but I haven'****ched it since surgery.  There's just too much great stuff on there that I can't have, and I think it would drive me crazy.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

StephK10
on 11/24/14 11:35 pm

That's so interesting!  I might try it myself. I am about a week post-VSG and have had a few times where I HAD TO HAVE A PIZZA.  I realized quickly those were times of frustration and stress when I craved comfort. I'm seeking new ways to achieve that myself - so far, it's taken the form of manicures and shopping for Christmas gifts. Lol

I love that Korean quote, by the way! 

Good luck with your surgery. :)

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

mobailey68
on 11/25/14 7:51 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I have been just horrible to my friends and family. I love watching them eat. I don't have a desire to eat a piece of cake, cookie, or even a candy bar but, holy cowbells, I love watching them eat it. I will even go so far as to bring stuff home with me for them to eat. None of them have issues with their weight but if I don't get this in check they might. I have gone from an EATER to a FEEDER and it is not a good thing. I am going to try the TV thing. Hopefully it will satisfy my weirdness.

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

Alibye
on 11/25/14 1:36 pm

Me too!  I have cooked more since my surgery than I did before.  But I am not eating it, I am enjoying watching them eat it!

i guess I am living vicariously though them.  So glad you posted this, because I thought I was weird!

Alibye
on 11/25/14 1:36 pm

Me too!  I have cooked more since my surgery than I did before.  But I am not eating it, I am enjoying watching them eat it!

i guess I am living vicariously though them.  So glad you posted this, because I thought I was weird!

Most Active