Post Op... Several Complications, Surgery didnt tun out the way I thought.

StephClasen
on 11/24/14 6:43 am - Wichita, KS

I had a RNY with Dr. Hoehn on October 13th of 2014. I have been in and out of the ER and hospitalized. The first issue I had was incredible pain and discomfort at and around the drain site. I went in for my followup with PA and expressed the pain along with the issues of not being able to keep liquids and foods down. He scheduled me for my 2 month visit. That Sunday I ended up in the ER in Wichita where I live. Through a CT scan they found a hematoma the size of a football. We transported from Wichita to Shawnee Mission in KC. Without my knowledge I was transferred to Dr. Aragon. It was the best decision as Dr. Aragon is incredible! I stayed in the hospital for multiple days as they put a new drain in. Upon my return home I have been unable to keep food or liquid down. It has been 42 days and this is not what I expected. Has anyone else had these types of issues? I am feeling defeated with incredible fatigue.

Member Services
on 11/24/14 6:50 am - Irvine, CA

We are so sorry to hear all you have been through.  We are here for you    Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Eggface
on 11/24/14 7:14 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Glad they were able to find the source of your pain and treat it. I had no complications and it was about 7 weeks till I felt not like a patient, drained, blah, blue and you had some post-op issues, the added stress, not as much nutrients, that takes its toll. Sending you good wishes... hopefully this will be just a bump in an otherwise smooth journey.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MickeyDee
on 11/24/14 8:28 am

I've not heard of people with post-op complications like not being able to keep food or liquids down unless it was due to a stricture.  Have you approached your surgeon with this question?  

It is not uncommon for a stoma to heal smaller which restricts flow out of the pouch, but this can easily be fixed by a balloon procedure which is done under a light anesthesia, and the balloon stretches the stoma again.  It might have to be repeated, but usually is successful the first time.

You're fortunate in finding a surgeon you have confidence in.  Don't be afraid to talk to him.

Cathy W.
on 11/25/14 12:42 am

I'm glad you found a doctor that you like and have confidence in.  Since you're still not feeling well, and continue to have issues keeping food and liquid down, call Dr. Aragon.

Hang in there.

Most Active