info on stretching sleeve

nancyannp
on 11/24/14 6:18 am

I saw on a post an article about stretching sleeve does anyone have that information to repost on here?

Member Services
on 11/24/14 6:51 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Nancy Ann,

If you have not done so, please post this on the VSG Forum  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/24/14 9:07 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

When they create the sleeve they remove the fundus which is the stretchy part of the stomach. It is really hard to stretch it. Over time it does gain some extra capacity but never gets back to what it was.

Tracy D.
on 11/25/14 12:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nancy - I just attended a bariatric symposium 10 days ago and a couple surgeons discussed this.  They said that the sleeve does not fundamentally "stretch out" post-op.  They've done numerous surgeries on post-ops and the sleeve is basically the same size as when they first created it.  

What they say changes is that the sleeve becomes more "pliant" over time, meaning that it will expand a bit more when eating to accommodate more food.  Some people refer to it as the sleeve "relaxing".  I use the metaphor of a hard-sided aluminum suitcase to a soft-sided  one.  You're going to be able to cram a LOT more clothes (food) into the soft sided  luggage...but the size of the luggage isn't going to fundamentally change after you unload it.  

Make sense? 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/25/14 4:23 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I remember you giving a good explanation. I was waiting to see if you chimed in.

Luvmygs
on 11/25/14 6:48 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Great explanation! I'll always remember this one. Thanks Tracy.

Christine

Most Active