Frustrated need ideas

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/14 7:57 am

I am 4 months post op and so far I have listed 63 pounds. But I'm feeling like I'm constantly eating, it's like I'm always hungry. I'm not eating junk, fast foods, or anything horrible. I've been trying to keep my meals at 4oz. My doctor said I should be at 4oz for a year. However, I feel like I'm going to gain weight. I don't feel like I'm losing it fast enough. Should I just stick yo protein shakes and pass on the food? I fight with my head telling myself it will be ok. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? 

bubbles23223
on 11/23/14 8:35 am - Canada

I have some suggestions as a pre-op candidate.  I'm a mom.  I would start with singular food items, like a hand full of almonds, a boiled egg and some all bran in the morning for breakfast.  spice it up with some natural food groups and vegetables, like quinoa, and corn for grains, gluten-free bread and less sugar intake. Lots of green veggies.  If you're baking muffins add zucchini and some cocoa, you'll taste the cocoa.  Plain out the food items. I remember one banana counts as two fruits in my world and is high in iron, whereas raisons may just hike the potassium for a snack.  I would want to see food as energy, small portions of what the body needs.  Be creative, and have fun with starting to naturalize.

Work for a cause, not for applause.  Live life to express, not too impress.Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.-Unknown

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/23/14 8:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Actually, post-op diets are quite a bit different from pre-op.  We are to focus on protein FIRST and avoid carbs/sugars.  I would NEVER eat corn, muffins, all-bran or even bananas.  In fact, I am not sure I wouldn't dump if I did.

To the OP -- follow your plan -- you are doing wonderfully.  6o-some pounds in four months is fabulous.  Eat solid and dense protein first, take in your fluids -- I still stick to around 4 oz per meal and it works.  I have lost 164 pounds in 10.5 months.  Sounds to me like you are being too hard on yourself.   

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

robinreinhardt
on 11/24/14 7:27 am

Kat W,

I am having surgery on 12/15. Could you please tell me what you eat every day? Sounds like you have been so successful. Also do you exercise. Thank you for your help. I'm so proud of you!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/23/14 9:17 am

Yeah, I'm with Kat on this one. All those grains and fruits are a hurtling train to reactive hypoglycemia hell or outright dump city for a lot of us.

OP, I know it can seem a bit frightening to advance your diet after years or even a lifetime of dieting. Stay protein forward, then vegetables, then complex carbohydrates if you have any room left.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

bubbles23223
on 11/23/14 9:26 am - Canada

My apologies to the person posting this for wrong and not good advice.  I didn't fully understand the benefit bodily behind protein today and that that really matters. 

Work for a cause, not for applause.  Live life to express, not too impress.Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.-Unknown

bubbles23223
on 11/23/14 9:28 am - Canada

I am going to have to go through changes and transitions dietarily during this whole process.  The diet I had mentioned above I am quite comfortable with for myself, at this stage.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 9:46 am - OH

Yes.  You will not be able to follow a diet that looks anything like what you posed once you have had your surgery!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

The Salty Hag
on 11/23/14 10:27 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I started eating high protein/ low carb years before my surgery. ( I did Atkins in 2010 and never fully stopped that way of eating. ) It made everything SO much easier post-op because I didn't feel like I was depriving myself of fruit or grains ( aka carbs ). 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Grim_Traveller
on 11/23/14 10:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Being a meatatarian makes life after surgery a lot easier.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active