Throbbing Pain in Chest

Ginger1123
on 12/2/14 7:04 am

I had lap band surgery two years ago and have not had any problems.  I had a toothache over the holidays and the dentist called some huge pills in that I went ahead and took but it seems that everytime I swallowed one it would appear to get stuck.  Now my chest is throbbing even when I drink liquids.     Could I have irritated the band?  If something is stuck what do you do? This is not an emergency just irritating to have it throb everytime I eat or drink.  Thought someone out there would have had same experience.  (Have changed insurance since my surgery and they don't cover me going back to doctor....oh and also my new  insurance isn't taken at my old doctor. So it's not as simple as a phone call to the doctor.) So glad to find a blog like this!

Hislady
on 12/2/14 10:01 am - Vancouver, WA

Antibiotics are very hard on any stomach however when banded it is concentrated in the little pouch so you need to drink lots of water with it. Now that it is painful myself I'd stick with soft easy to digest foods for awhile like yogurt to help calm the irritation. That should calm things down if you do it for a few days. If it is still causing pain call your primary doc he should be able to help unless you need an unfill for awhile. I always asked how big the pills were when I had a band or reminded the doctor that I had a band and can't take huge pills.

56sunShine14
on 12/2/14 11:00 am

Hi Ginger,

So...you don't crush pills?  I did for 7 years until I had the band removed this past July.  I had heard that many lap banders took pills after being banded and couldn't understand why.  Altho, I do have to say, if he gave you antibiotics, I understand!  I tried to take them by crushing and couldn't get past the first one before dumping them in the toilet.  They too were horsepills.

If it is because the pill is stuck, I would stick with very warm water, coffee or even better for the sliding effect, chicken broth.

The warmth helps dissolve the pill and the slight greasiness of chicken broth helps it slide a bit.  Good luck.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Ginger1123
on 12/2/14 11:07 am

They were actually capsules! Tried to open them up and put in tea and it was awful...made me gag.,  I know...I'm a mess. Thanksfor the help! 

kathkeb
on 12/2/14 11:52 am

Not all pills can be crushed and retain their recommended effectiveness.

I am a 5 1/2 year bandster and have been able to swallow pills since about 2 weeks post op.

I can take 2 or 3 at a time without issue.  My doc is a firm believer that if you can't swallow 2 tablets or a large pill, your band is too tight.

I second the recommendation to try more water and warm beverages.  Also, walking while raising your arms above your head may stretch your torso and help move things around.

Kath

Ginger1123
on 12/2/14 11:02 am

Thanks!  I ususally check on the pills too but I was in such pain with the tooth and so glad a dentist would call me on Thanksgivng that I forgot and then didn't want to bother him again.  (Won't do that again!!!)

huskergalWsD
on 12/2/14 11:19 pm

this wont help your situation, but just wanted to let you know medications cause swallowing problems too. I am on Lisinoprol a blood pressure medication. One of the side affects is swelling of the tongue. I have to crush some meds at times. good luck.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Kate -True Brit
on 12/3/14 1:29 am, edited 12/3/14 4:33 am - UK

Indeed you could gave have irritated the tissue under your band. A very good friend of mine was prescribed anti-bios and actually checked with the pharmacist who assured her there would be no problem if a capsule dissolved  above the band. This was incorrect advice as they are designed to dissolve in the acid of the stomach and are otherwie very corrosive. She ended up as an emergency admission to ER being unable even to swallow her saliva. 

I am not clear when this happened. But if it in the last few days, stick to warm liquids and see what happens. If it doesn't get better within, say, a week, then you need medical advice. 

As general advice, I take no large tablets. If they can be crushed, split, opened, I do that. If they can't, then my doctor finds me an alternative even if it less effective. I take anti-bios in liquid form. 

Edited to add, and by most people's standards I keep my band very loose, it never prevents me eating or restricts the type of food I have. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active