RNY or VGS which is best route for a type 2 diabetic??

Stacy B.
on 12/14/14 2:15 am - Latty, OH
with

I went to the Dr a few weeks ago with the intentions of wanting the VGS, but with the condition that if he felt another option was better I would do what ever he felt was best. He said RNY with possible revision to VGS at a later date. Here's my question, I feel for me that the VGS is less traumatic to my body, and although the dr says that RNY is better for me due to the diabetes I am wondering what you all think? Is there some out there that have had the VGS with diabetes and it helped? Are there some out there that feel he is correct because they have been there and done that and can tell me their experience and how well it has worked for them? I am really confused at this time, I wont be having any procedure done for about three months but in my heart I know I want the VGS but if it isn't the right one to have done then I will bow down and do what he wants. Is there anyone else out there with this same situation?

Gwen M.
on 12/14/14 2:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

(Psst, it's VSG not VGS.)

There are lots of people who post on the VSG forum who had diabetes and who now have diabetes in remission due to their weight loss, so you might want to ask there.  

I, personally, would be uncomfortable with having a surgery with a planned possible revision at a later date - I only wanted to go through this once.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 12/14/14 2:55 am

There's a third option, which Dr. Lalor does not do, called the Duodenal Switch. Hands down, the DS has the very BEST results for remission of diabetes---better than 98%. The RNY comes in second, with about 85%. I don't have the stats for the VSG at hand, but I *believe* they're pretty much the same as the RNY.

Now---about this business of getting an RNY now and perhaps later a revision to a VSG. BAD IDEA. Revising an RNY to a VSG is pretty complicated---it would involve sewing the RNY pouch back to the remnant stomach, then performing a VSG, and returning the small intestine to its pre-op configuration. Much more often, a failed RNY is revised to a DS, which has the same stomach as the VSG, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more aggressive than, that of the RNY.

In the long term, the choice of which type of WLS is less traumatic is the one with which you can live happily and healthily, without needing further surgery. It's also important that you choose the form of WLS that you can best stick to its 'rules' forever, and each form has it's own set of rules and eating plans.

If getting rid of your diabetes is your foremost concern, I strongly urge you to at least consult with a surgeon who does do the DS on a regular basis. The DS has the best stats for resolving diabetes, and the best stats for maintaining your loss long-term.

Stacy B.
on 12/14/14 7:45 am - Latty, OH
with

hmmm I might have to check in to that, thank you for the insight!!! 

Valerie G.
on 12/14/14 6:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With VSG, many go into remission because of weight loss.  If weight comes back as many have experienced, the diabetes comes back with it.  RNY and DS both address Type 2 diabetes from a metabolic standpoint.  Many are completely off insulin before they even come home from the hospital. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Stacy B.
on 12/14/14 7:46 am - Latty, OH
with

Is the DS the same as the Billipancreatic Duodenal switch?

Valerie G.
on 12/14/14 9:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes it is.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/14/14 10:29 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I don't know what it is but there is also something metabolic that goes on with the VSG. My diabetes went into remission 3 days after my surgery.. before I lost a pound. My numbers have been normal ever since.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

White Dove
on 12/14/14 6:53 am, edited 12/14/14 7:01 am - Warren, OH

With RNY about 85% of people go into remission the day after surgery regardless of weight loss.  It is believed to have to do with rearranging the intestines.  Nobody goes into remission the day after VSG, although the doctor may take people off of their medications and see what happens.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Stacy B.
on 12/14/14 7:47 am - Latty, OH
with

Thank you for the info, this is what I needed to help me sort through my feelings as to which one to head toward.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1215 views