Protein smoothie

Elegantchic82
on 12/19/14 11:56 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

maybe I should already know this, but I don't!  Ok when I had did protein shakes in the past I would do soy milk and fruit and tolerated it great but I will be having surgery on 12-29 and wonder at what stage can I possibly make my shakes again? I heard tastebuds change as well but just wondering?

Kathy S.
on 12/20/14 1:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

Everyone is different but yes I would hold off until you get home after surgery. What I loved pre-op I could not even stand the smell and it lasted for a couple of months. I usually tell people to hold off spending tons of money stocking up as you may not be able to eat post op what you did before. But the taste buds do come back.

Congratulations on your surgery date!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Elegantchic82
on 12/20/14 3:05 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you so much for the information and your repons!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/20/14 3:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

At 11 months out, I still avoid most fruits.  You will want to be very conscious of your carb consumption.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

hollykim
on 12/20/14 3:49 am, edited 12/20/14 6:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 20, 2014 at 7:56 AM Pacific Time, Elegantchic82 wrote:

maybe I should already know this, but I don't!  Ok when I had did protein shakes in the past I would do soy milk and fruit and tolerated it great but I will be having surgery on 12-29 and wonder at what stage can I possibly make my shakes again? I heard tastebuds change as well but just wondering?

I would also avoid fruits as the natural sugar in them can stall/stop your weight loss. I would switch to almond milk instead of soy for mixing protein shakes as soy messes with estrogen and other hormones. 

Smoothies are some of the highest calorie drinks out there and ppl just think they are healthy. It is another fad. It is only wise to drink. Your calories early in your recovery.

Lisarn1
on 12/20/14 5:48 am - Raleigh, NC

Fruit is something that I eat on very rare occasions. I used to love smoothies, but now do not do shakes in any form. If I use protein powder it generally in broth or soup, or in a hot chocolate/coffee beverage.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Tracy D.
on 12/22/14 4:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You'll need to do protein shakes but avoid putting anything in them that will create a "smoothie".  At this stage you want to stay low-carb and anything you used in the past is going to be super-high in surgar (fruit, peanut butter, etc.).  

I'm 19 months post-op and I rarely do fruit these days...and when I do you can bet I'm going to chew it, not swallow it down in a drink.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active