Am I doing something wrong?

Arandles
on 12/22/14 12:46 pm

Hi guys! So I had a sleeve 8 days ago and I feel great, minus getting really tired I assume bc of the low calories.  My concern is that I read all these posts and how others have had a really tough time drinking fluids and getting enough protein, etc.  I'm so thankful and blessed to not have those issues, I'm now easily getting 64 ounces of water, and about 60 grams of protein a day.  What I wonder is if I may have stretched my stomach or done something to it.  I'm able to eat about 4-5 ounces at a time!!! For example, I can eat a whole dannon light and fit Greek yogurt.  It may take me 30 min, but I can eat it all!  Nothing I've eaten has caused me to vomit.  Only a little pressure around diaphragm every once in a while.  Could I have done something w/o knowing it??

NYMom222
on 12/22/14 2:10 pm, edited 12/22/14 2:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Part of the reason is because you are still on soft foods. the transition to more solid foods is a little more difficult. You won't be eating 4-5oz at a time. Just make sure you are following your Doctor's program as to how much to have at a time. Make sure you measure. Just because You can doesn't mean you should.

Edit: Don't know if difficult is the right word. When you start on solid foods you will feel them and get full quicker.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tracy D.
on 12/23/14 2:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You may want to also post this on the VSG forum - you might get more responses from VSGers that only post in there.  

There's no way you "stretched" your stomach - it's practically impossible with the sleeve and definitely not possible when you're only on liquids and soft foods.  Having said that, be VERY careful right now about eating too much.  The nerves in your stomach have been cut and haven't regenerated yet so you're not going to feel any restriction or "fullness".  When it comes to mushy or soft food, measure out the amount you've been advised to eat and eat no more, regardless of what it feels like.  Feeling pressure around the diaphragm at this stage indicates you ate too fast or have eaten too much.  Be careful!  

Remember, just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kathy S.
on 12/23/14 2:55 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Arandles

As Tracy said be sure and post this on the VSG board so others that had the same surgery as you can reach out.  Here is the link:

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sandie E.
on 12/23/14 4:49 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I have heard that with any of the surgeries the nerves are still asleep and healing so it is very important to measure your portions if you aren't feeling full when you should.

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Valerie G.
on 12/24/14 2:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You are tired because you just had a major surgery.  It took me a good 5 weeks or so before I started feeling more like myself again..

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cowdog-Lover
on 12/24/14 4:38 am

Thanks for asking this question as I am experiencing the some of the same  sensations and fears. I just had my surgery on 12/11/14 . Although I am not able to drink very much water or broth at a time yogurt seems to go right down.

Most Active