I think my pouch is shrinking??

100less
on 12/25/14 10:19 pm - Stafford, VA

I had RNY 8 years ago. I lost 100 and then gained 55 back. I started attending OA meetings and finally feel (with God's help) in control of my food.

I eat 3 meals a day and a 3:30 snack. No sugar, no flour. I've lost 11 lbs in a month.

Surprisingly I think my pouch has shrunk? I can no longer eat Ezekiel bread almond butter sandwich for breakfast. Its just too uncomfortable.

Its been years since I've felt too full to eat so I assume I stretched out my pouch. It is possible it shrunken now? Anyone else have this happen?

Kathy S.
on 12/26/14 2:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's one of the hardest things to do is get back on track and do it successfully.  Kudos to you!  I too have experience weight gain and lost it.  I found once I got passed the carb, sugar issues I was able to feel full with smaller amounts of food.  Be sure and post this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) and if you have not already done so, join our support group here called 

Back On Track Together

Please keep us posted on your success and again. - WAY TO GO!

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Hislady
on 12/26/14 6:38 am - Vancouver, WA

More likely you were eating slider foods which bread and peanut butter are. Now that you are eating correctly your pouch will react the way it did in the beginning when you ate dense protein that stays in your pouch longer. It is really all very simple eat correctly and the pouch works correctly.

Casey79moore
on 12/30/14 12:35 pm

I am one year out from surgery. 70 pounds down. Happy where my weight is but scared I'm going to gain it back.  5'4" and 150. Thinking I'll try for 15- 20 more pounds off. Heathy eating has obviously not been my strong point or I wouldn't have been over weight to begin with. I'm at a total loss as to where to stop besides laying off junk food. I would appreciate help. Other than switching to fruits and veggies what do I do? I don't do soda, I do have a little sweet tea. And I don't do much sugar. Is there a program to follow? My Dr. Never gave me calories to stay under. I just don't want to start gaining. Thanks !!! 

MsBatt
on 1/1/15 8:47 am

Well, drinking sweet tea is probably not a good idea. Can you bear to sweeten it with an artificial sweetener, like Splenda? Drinking calories is a no-no with any form of WLS.

Also, fruits have a LOT of sugar. I advise you to be very cautious about eating much fruit. Some veggies, like carrots, are also high in sugar. Concentrate on eating protein FIRST.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/1/15 11:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On December 26, 2014 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, 100less wrote:

I had RNY 8 years ago. I lost 100 and then gained 55 back. I started attending OA meetings and finally feel (with God's help) in control of my food.

I eat 3 meals a day and a 3:30 snack. No sugar, no flour. I've lost 11 lbs in a month.

Surprisingly I think my pouch has shrunk? I can no longer eat Ezekiel bread almond butter sandwich for breakfast. Its just too uncomfortable.

Its been years since I've felt too full to eat so I assume I stretched out my pouch. It is possible it shrunken now? Anyone else have this happen?

Everyone -- everyone -- thinks or is afraid they have stretched their pouch or sleeve. But in studies of those who have regained a significant amount of weight, it is actually pretty rare.

Rather than a stretched pouch, the culprit is a combination of bad habits. Drinking calories, drinking with meals, grazing, eating slider foods, processed carbs, starches, sugars, etc.

I think you have discovered what most do in getting back on track -- eating dense protein first, and avoiding the above behaviors, and your pouch or sleeve will do what it is designed to. It's up to us to do the rest.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active