Am I wrong to want to get the surgery done and over?

shakeitoff
on 1/8/15 12:43 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I am working on VGS surgery.  My first Dr. appointment was Dec 12 weight 384.5.  They told me lose 16 pounds by Jan 16.  I have already lost 25.7!  They called me yesterday after I sent a bunch of questions via e-mail.  I told her how much I lost and she asked how I did that.  She sounded surprised.  I followed the diet guildlines they gave me.  She said I had to get my BMI under 50 for surgery.  I said I wanted to schedule as soon as possible. She said your looking at surgery in February already?  like it was uncommon to want to get it done as soon as possible.  Why would I want to drag it out?   Am I pushing things to fast?

Tracy D.
on 1/8/15 12:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As long as your insurance doesn't require a time period of documented weight loss efforts, I say the sooner the better!  Why would you want to wait to make gigantic improvements in your health?  I went home from the hospital off ALL my diabetes medication.  Why would I have wanted to wait for that, right?  

Just make sure that you have done the emotional work to get your head on straight because this is not going to be an easy process.   Good luck to you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

shakeitoff
on 1/8/15 1:19 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I am looking forward to getting rid of my BP meds, possibly my sleep apnea machine.  I have a few other meds Im not sure  if weight loss will effect them enough to get rid of them or not.  My biggest mental obstical was my husband.  He wouldnt support my surgery decision till just recently or I would have had this done years ago.  Everytime I would lose the weight before I would end up pregnant we have 4 kids  (yes I know what causes that  lol).  Ive since had a partial hysterectomy so that is not an issue. My husbands change in attitude was a huge weight off my shoulders.

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 5:20 am

I have to say I am still on BP meds even after losing 120 pounds. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer. You are totally right to want it done and over with. It is a big decision but a great one.

Kathy S.
on 1/8/15 12:54 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi shakeitoff,

I was the same as you. When I first met my surgeon I told him please let me  have the surgery as quickly as you can otherwise I will chicken out. He said he was not the surgeon for me. I was in tears.  He stated to be successful you have to take time to educate yourself on what and how you are going to eat post-op and for the rest of your life. Deal with head issues and exercising.  He stated it would be at least 6 months.  Even though I was devastated, I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. All the classes, professionals I met with and the support group meetings empowered me to be successful!

Take this time to prepare for success  We look forward to your updates!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

shakeitoff
on 1/8/15 1:07 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I am self-pay.  The only reason I have to wait is the Dr.  to say ok.  I look at food different now.  I was never taught about carbs and protein.  I see why I got so heavy.  I lived on and for carbs.  I  lived for past and pizza.  There are alot of carbs in things I thought were healthy. Being a super picky eater even made it worse.  I want to get it done and over because I have 4 kids and a granddaughter and when the warm weather comes I want to be mobile again.  I want to be able to go places and do things i haven't been able to do for the last couple years.  I turn 50 in Decemeber 2015 and I want to be at or near my goal weight.  I know I won't change my mind.  I just have alot of life to live and I want to get at it!

MsBatt
on 1/8/15 1:17 am

Hey, the MINUTE I made the decision, I wanted to have surgery the next day. (*grin*) Fortunately, I didn't have any insurance hoops to jump through. I met my surgeon on October 30th, got a surgery date of 12/11 that very day.

That said, I do agree that is a very good idea to spend as much time as possible before surgery educating yourself about the procedure you've chosen. No matter how well-prepared we *think* we are, there's always something that will surprise you.

Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/8/15 2:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Most people are in a great rush. I actually delayed mine by a couple months, just to make the timing easier for recovery and whatnot.

Whetever you decide, the most important thing is to get a good running start. You'll be glad you did. And if it gets delayed, as sometimes happens, don't freak out. Some people get really messed up if they run into a delay.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 1/8/15 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM Pacific Time, shakeitoff wrote:

I am working on VGS surgery.  My first Dr. appointment was Dec 12 weight 384.5.  They told me lose 16 pounds by Jan 16.  I have already lost 25.7!  They called me yesterday after I sent a bunch of questions via e-mail.  I told her how much I lost and she asked how I did that.  She sounded surprised.  I followed the diet guildlines they gave me.  She said I had to get my BMI under 50 for surgery.  I said I wanted to schedule as soon as possible. She said your looking at surgery in February already?  like it was uncommon to want to get it done as soon as possible.  Why would I want to drag it out?   Am I pushing things to fast?

you are not wrong ,bit ins don't usually haen like that in the real world. 

I was like you,I couldn't wait to get on the table,so scared something would happen to prevent the surgery.

i was also self pay,in MX,so there were no hoops to jump through. My only delay was getting my funds together.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/8/15 2:36 am - UK

I was self-pay and so had my surgery one week after the initial doctors appointment.  But I had done tons of research. But once you are sure you have all the facts, go for it! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active