Surgery didn't work

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 8:25 am

So I just came back from my 2 week post op Dr. visit and the news wasn't good. He said that for some people the surgery (RNY) just doesn't work. I have had no restriction and can eat and drink without any problems. He told me to advance my diet to solid food now (hamburger,chicken and fish) and try some vegetables. Has anyone ever heard of the surgery not working right out of the gate? I'm a little disappointed to say the least. 

Raze
on 1/8/15 8:32 am, edited 1/8/15 8:33 am

i've heard of people not losing weight, or the amount they want to lose. but so far as being able to eat and "fit" normal amounts of food in a small pouch? pretty sure that would be very unusual and suggests to me the stoma is too "wide" or the pouch too big. meaning food is just sliding through the pouch, or more food fits than should. imo this should not happen. rny is meant to be quite restrictive with a small pouch and small "opening" so food stays in the pouch longer, and you feel full

hope you get this worked out. 

IMO

nunini
on 1/14/15 4:37 am - Hollywood, FL

Demand a consultation with another surgeon.  There is no way a correctly performed RNY will leave a patient able to eat without restrictions.

Chilipepper
on 1/8/15 9:03 am, edited 1/8/15 9:03 am

This is ridiculous. You are 2 weeks post op and you had Dr Pohl who has been around a long time and he said you are a surgical failure?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 10:00 am

Ha…those weren't his exact words..but because I'm not losing any weight and not feeling any restriction it's not unheard of that sometimes the surgery just doesn't work for some people. I will just have to wait and see as I advance to regular food but I doubt it..

Chilipepper
on 1/8/15 10:13 am, edited 1/8/15 10:15 am

Ha..that is what you implied. Maybe you should stop testing your pouch looking for restriction and follow the plan. Even though you drank a whole container of cream soup 5 days out. You may not have felt restriction with that. Your pouch is open ended and it runs through. You don't start feeling restristion until you eat solid foods.   Most likely you have kicked yourself out of Ketosis by eating too many carbs... Who knows how many were in that 10.5 oz container of cream soup you drank and whatever else you are eating. That is why you aren't losing weight. You are failing your surgery, not the other way around. 

Why were you revised from the band?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 10:34 am

Sorry if I upset you…I had one set back and drank the soup because I was hungry…sorry I'm human and not perfect if I was I wouldn't be here..I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ever had this surgery that hasn't been tempted and given in to their food craving. I have been following the plan and even sat with the nutritionist. Yes I was previously banded and I regained most of the weight I had lost even though my band was completely full. So I know the feeling of restriction and fullness. I know how to "eat around my band" and I'm surely not making that same mistake here. Maybe I just expected to much to soon…however he did say that sometimes the surgery just doesn't work for some people and I was asking if anyone else had ever heard or experienced that..

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/9/15 4:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On January 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM Pacific Time, Donna4166 wrote:

Sorry if I upset you…I had one set back and drank the soup because I was hungry…sorry I'm human and not perfect if I was I wouldn't be here..I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ever had this surgery that hasn't been tempted and given in to their food craving. I have been following the plan and even sat with the nutritionist. Yes I was previously banded and I regained most of the weight I had lost even though my band was completely full. So I know the feeling of restriction and fullness. I know how to "eat around my band" and I'm surely not making that same mistake here. Maybe I just expected to much to soon…however he did say that sometimes the surgery just doesn't work for some people and I was asking if anyone else had ever heard or experienced that..

Nobody is perfect. But if you're having serious compliance issues less than 2 weeks out, that's nobody's fault but your own, and neither is (hypothetical) failure. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sara2015
on 1/9/15 3:13 pm

Yikes!  Some of you are way too harsh. 

branches99
on 1/14/15 11:37 pm - OH

Who are you to judge Donna4166? There are all kinds of things that could be wrong. She needs to go to another doctor and ask what the heck is going on? something isn't right. I got so hungry I ate a whole bag of cheese puffs in one day and still lost weight. One can of cream soup one time isn't going to stop someone's weight loss. So don't be so high and "Mighty" to judge someone else's actions or motivation. We are all individuals and all have feelings. Now I noticed that person has deactivated their membership. Wonder why....