New device and meds to treat obesity

KattattaK
on 1/16/15 1:55 pm, edited 1/16/15 7:45 pm

The links NOW work! I've been hearing so much about both of these on the news recently and reading up on them. Just curious as to the opinions of others regarding these new and upcoming medical treatments/interventions for the fight against obesity.  

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/16/377428448/a-weigh t-loss-device-aims-to-curb-hunger-by-zapping-a-nerve

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/jan/14/salk-scientists-discove r-new-type-diet-pill/

Eggface
on 1/16/15 10:59 pm, edited 1/16/15 11:00 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm happy they are doing more research and the FDA is approving more obesity treatments. I believe in having options and choices, one treatment plan does not fit all people and if this is something that will help some and they feel OK with the safety risks vs. health benefits, they should have that option. Sadly... insurance does not cover most of these treatments... so they can make them, test them, approve them but if insurance doesn't cover them it's like window shopping. It's madness though that they will cover the $$$$ conditions obesity can cause (heart, diabetes, cancers, etc.) but not obesity itself. 

Plug for joining the OAC who fights for access (among other things) 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Chilipepper
on 1/17/15 12:13 am

When they cure things it just puts a lot of people out of work. Think of the cancer industry. I believe they know have to cure most forms of CANCER. I also believe they have learned how to manage them also. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Eggface
on 1/17/15 12:16 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Very sad but probably true.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Dawn W.
on 1/17/15 5:32 am

Amen! Chillipepper

Chilipepper
on 1/17/15 5:43 am

In addition, unless those electrodes are implanted in my fingertips and zap me when I go to put food in my mouth, it's a waste. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

KattattaK
on 1/17/15 6:04 am

Chilipepper, SO true!!!!

Dawn W.
on 1/17/15 5:49 am

Chillipepper,

I'm saying amen about a cure to the Cancer. I have a 26 year old cousin who just got diagnosed with cancer :(

Chilipepper
on 1/17/15 6:17 am

My mother at age 70 got diagnosed with late stage 3b lung cancer amost 2 yrs ago. They put her through massive chemo and radiation and had a massive heart attack in between.  She is 18 months cancer free and had been back to work ever since. I think they are more advanced is some forms of cancer. Plus now with the genetic testing they can pinpoint the kind of cancer you have and treat it accordingly. 

I am so sorry about your cousin. My mothers oncologist was a saint and saved her even after she had gone to MOFFITT Cancer center in Tampa and they said there was nothing they could do. 

Seek out out the best oncologist you can find. 

Pokemom
on 1/17/15 6:25 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Sorry to contradict, especially someone as strong and knowledgable as Chili, but I feel that statement about the cancer industry is unfair, and i must give a positive plug for the fine people who do fight cancer.  My sister is a gynecological oncologist.  She treats women with cervical, ovarian, and other women's cancers every day.  She and her colleagues do the best they can to cure and manage based on the limited knowledge they have. They do regular lab research and participate in conferences to share the research.  She says that every cancer, even within a defined label, has its own personality. She agonizes over her care decisions, counsels for hours with families, and cries whenever a patient dies, and that is often, because these cancers are aggressive.  She works 12-hour days, and has only one day off a week. She would love to cure every patient she sees, she would love to work less.  the work is so hard and draining that she often talks of leaving it. But she feels a personal obligation to offer what she can, especially after giving 12 years of her time to train for this work.

I also sat on an IRB of a local regional hospital for 3 years, and we frequently discussed research projects being done on breast cancer, and we frequently approved experimental treatments, efforts by doctors and researchers to find something that might work for a particular woman's difficult situation. The medical profession is full of good people who devote their lives to honestly seeking cures  and management options.  Please, let's not dismiss all of that with a statement that suggests they are all about just making money.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1454 views