loose skin?

Mallorylshapiro
on 1/26/15 3:01 pm

hi all! I'm currently hoping to get weight loss surgery but I had a few questions, 

I'm worried about loose skin, not so much on my stomach because that's my problem area and who cares right? 

But I'm more afraid of having it loose on my arms and my legs, I don't feel like my legs and arms are that big but. I'm terrified. 

Help! 

Amy M.
on 1/27/15 12:46 am, edited 1/27/15 12:47 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Unfortunately loose skin is a very real possibility. There are many factors that determine this such as age, how long you've been obese, how big you are, how well you take care of yourself, and how much exercise you get. There are some people who did a lot of strength training and ended up with little to no loose skin and there's people who did lite sporadic exercise and have a lot. I'd recommend staying on top of your exercise and protein.  Especially since plastics usually aren't covered by insurance and is financially not an option for everyone. 

Tracy D.
on 1/27/15 1:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Well, buckle up my dear because it's going to happen...it's just a matter of how much.  Factors that play into that:  Your weight, age, ethnicity, how long you've been obese and the amount of stretch marks you have.  

Stretch marks = damaged skin that will never "snap back" into place.  Also, if you've been heavy for a number of years (or decades) you have actually grown new skin to cover your size.  As you lose weight that skin doesn't evaporate...it will hang.  

I wasn't surprised by the excess skin on my stomach but I was really surprised about the excess skin on my back.  Didn't expect that...

Ask yourself this:  do you really think that excess skin is more unattractive than having 100 extra pounds (or 200 or however much you have) hanging from your body?  The excess skin you have camouflage and deal with, people won't see it unless you want them to.  Not so for the 100-200 extra lbs. many of us carried around for years. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

White Dove
on 1/27/15 3:50 am - Warren, OH

Fixing the stomach loose skin required plastic surgery for me.  The rest of my body responded well to exercise with weight machines, treadmill, elliptical and water aerobics.  The loose skin is not noticeable because I built a lot of muscle underneath it.  I also did a lot of exfoliating and tightening creams.  Not sure how much good it did, but my skin looks great.

When I met my personal trainer, she said she found it hard to believe that I had had weight loss surgery, because of how my skin looks.  I was 59 having surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Abner_1
on 1/27/15 8:26 am

Hi I'm about to have Ds done in a month and would like to know what you had done I'm looking for people whom had this so I can find out how they are doing and what to expect Cheryl

MsBatt
on 1/27/15 11:34 pm

Are you aware there's a whole DS board right here on OH? Just click on 'Forums', then look in the second column and it's about a third of the way down. There are also a lot of DS-specific Facebook groups as well.

I had the DS over 11 years ago, and I'm still totally 'in love' with it!

MyLady Heidi
on 1/27/15 9:42 am

Save money and you can get anything or everything fixed with plastics.  It's worth the cost.  I had my problem areas corrected and live a normal life now as a normal sized person.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 10:05 am

you look great, how much did u lose

MyLady Heidi
on 1/28/15 1:38 am

283.5lbs to 135lbs, so more then half my weight gone FOREVER!!!  I get to say that because I control if that is true or not.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/15 11:02 pm

Most Active