Please help...

cjstern06
on 1/23/15 5:25 am

This is my first post here...

I had my sleeve surgery on Dec. 29, 2014.  Since then I have been absolutely miserable!  The first 9 days I thought I was going to die.  I had a very difficult time getting liquids in and struggled daily.  I felt and still feel awful.  I did not joyously leap into the pureed stage like most stories I've been reading.  I am still having great difficulty just getting liquids in without becoming nauseous.  Each time I drink water I feel instantly sick to my stomach.  I am not able to eat much at all.  I have tried every baby food flavor under the sun, applesauce, pudding and various broths.  For example, today I attempted to eat 1/4 cup of small curd cottage cheese.  This was recommended by my dietician.  I could only take 2 small bites and I was instantly feeling that painful sensation in my chest as if I'd eaten too much.  I also get that feeling in my throat like I'm going to vomit.  Fortunately, I have not vomited!  I then sit around miserable for the next hour or so waiting for that feeling to go away. 

I am at my wits end... I'm so frustrated I want to scream!!!  I really wish I could find someone who could relate but all the stories I've read are about how FANTASTIC everyone is doing...

My sense of taste and smell has changed drastically.  Most everything I put in my mouth tastes like metal and liquids all taste like poison!  EVERYONE has garlic breath and I can't stand to be closer than 5 feet from someone when they are talking to me.  The smell is so overpowering!

Is there anyone out there who has suffered any of these symptoms or feelings??? 

I literally feel like I'm losing my mind...

MsBatt
on 1/23/15 5:57 am

Have you discussed this with your surgeon? It really sounds to me like you might have a stricture. Also talk with him about getting some IV fluids---you may be dehydrated, and being dehydrated will make you feel like death warmed over.

Changes in taste and smell are pretty common after general anesthesia, but they should be going away soon. (And getting yourself well-hydrated will help this, too.)

hollykim
on 1/23/15 5:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 1:25 PM Pacific Time, cjstern06 wrote:

This is my first post here...

I had my sleeve surgery on Dec. 29, 2014.  Since then I have been absolutely miserable!  The first 9 days I thought I was going to die.  I had a very difficult time getting liquids in and struggled daily.  I felt and still feel awful.  I did not joyously leap into the pureed stage like most stories I've been reading.  I am still having great difficulty just getting liquids in without becoming nauseous.  Each time I drink water I feel instantly sick to my stomach.  I am not able to eat much at all.  I have tried every baby food flavor under the sun, applesauce, pudding and various broths.  For example, today I attempted to eat 1/4 cup of small curd cottage cheese.  This was recommended by my dietician.  I could only take 2 small bites and I was instantly feeling that painful sensation in my chest as if I'd eaten too much.  I also get that feeling in my throat like I'm going to vomit.  Fortunately, I have not vomited!  I then sit around miserable for the next hour or so waiting for that feeling to go away. 

I am at my wits end... I'm so frustrated I want to scream!!!  I really wish I could find someone who could relate but all the stories I've read are about how FANTASTIC everyone is doing...

My sense of taste and smell has changed drastically.  Most everything I put in my mouth tastes like metal and liquids all taste like poison!  EVERYONE has garlic breath and I can't stand to be closer than 5 feet from someone when they are talking to me.  The smell is so overpowering!

Is there anyone out there who has suffered any of these symptoms or feelings??? 

I literally feel like I'm losing my mind...

at not quote a month out,a lot of this is normal. Things taste bad because you are in ketosis,the fat burning state,which is what you want for weight loss. It will get better.

the nausea can be caused from acid buildup,even if you don't feel like it is acids that is one of the ways acid works. Are you taking a PPI like Nexium or Prilosec? If not ask your surgeon for one right away. It will make a huge difference.

try drinking,warm or cool tea,warm broth and anything except plain water. Many sleevers can't tolerate plain water for a while. Put something in your water,Mio drops,squeeze of lemon,something like that. It will go down better.

dehydration causes wicked nausea. It can also be life threatening so get going on some new and different types of liquids. SF ice pops have been a life saver for many. Try to drink one ounce of liquid every fifteen minutes,set your timer.

lastly take tiny tiny bites like a barely filled rubber coated baby spoon size. You may have some extra swelling that just has to go down.

Hope this helps. It does get better.

cjstern06
on 1/23/15 6:07 am, edited 1/23/15 6:39 am
cjstern06
on 1/23/15 6:40 am

Thank you ladies for your input!

I am taking Pepcid 10mg twice daily.

I have a call in to the clinic I go to, just waiting for them to call me back!

I will try your suggestions!  Thanks again!

Dolphingirl1385
on 1/23/15 7:15 am

I had wicked nausea and thought I was going to die for the first 6 to 8 weeks.  I experienced a lot of things you mentioned. Everything tasted like metal, couldnt eat much, etc.  I just focused on trying to get my liquids in and protein through shakes (tried many). I didnt even start vitamins until 3 months out for this reason.  The GOOD news it will pass. Around 8 weeks, when I thought I couldnt take it any longer, all of a sudden I felt like a different person. I tried and still do drink my water with lemon slices, it really helps with the metalic taste.  I am seven months out now and doing great.  Just keep it up, it will get better!

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 7:19 am

Please be well

pammiv
on 1/23/15 7:29 am

Hi there!  Although my journey sounds less bumpy than yours - I too have had issues and not felt like I was sailing through everything.  I am almost 6 weeks out from RNY and I can tell you the first 2-3 weeks was the worst experience I have had and I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago that wasn't this bad.  I didn't want to eat or drink anything, I can't stand the taste of water anymore and the smell of protein shakes made me sick.  I have thrown up lots of times (mostly from trying to gulp liquids too fast like the old me did) or gobbling down soft foods and not chewing enough.  I have learned to sip liquids, stop when I am full of anything, chew well putting down my fork after each bite and to put mio or lemon in my water.  Everyones coping is different and you will find yours.  Until then - many prayers for each day to get better.... 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Cathy W.
on 1/23/15 8:09 am

You've received good information from the replies from members to your post.  I hope you've heard from your doctor by now.

I had a total knee replacement a little over a month ago.  For the first two weeks, everything I ate was awful.  Even my favorite foods tasted bad.  From the anesthesia, it plays havoc with our taste buds.  It will pass.

Take care of yourself.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

STB
on 1/23/15 9:12 am
RNY on 07/21/14

the first month or so I was miserable! then, one morning I woke up and I wasn't. it will get better. experiment with temperatures for the liquid - I can tolerate hot better but others need ice. if something doesn't settle try again in a month. it took me longer to tolerate foods than recommended and also I had to have smaller amounts that recommended. everyone is different. they will give you averages to go by. my tastes changed but then, I would retry and it would be ok. hang in there! it will get better. chew foods well and make sure they are moist. you will get there and this stage of regret will be a memory!

SHARON  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1261 views