Has anyone with an RNY ALSO had a GI bag AS A POST OP???????

Bibo
on 1/27/15 6:22 am

if so can you please either share here or message me.....my colon has completely stopped and  my GI doctor and my bariatric surgeon are giving me conflicting reports on which way to go about resolving it. I am going to see a colorectal surgeon for a consult in a couple weeks.

They are both positive that it's not due to the bypass, as it was an issue before surgery. My body does not appear strong enough to poop, and i am incredibly impacted. Sick and tired of having surgery and doctors are afraid of causing strictures/perforations.   I am on every medication and probiotic and non dairy SIBO etc etc etc water and all that stuff known to humans, it's NOT working.......and the doctors don't know what else to do.   They think it's muscles or nerve damange, but no clear consensus as to why. Any EXPERIENCE????????  thanks much

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/27/15 12:01 pm

Ouch.... Daily Miralx helps me. 2 capfulls plus some vit C..(lot of it) plus magnesium. 

I avoid to much fiber and use more fat than carbs. Coffee...works for me. 

I eljminated foods that i have allergy to.  So far so good.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Bibo
on 1/27/15 12:14 pm, edited 1/27/15 12:19 pm

been there done that. I take ALL of that, miralax x 4 Linzess, amitiza 2 kinds of suppositories no dairy I have Several surgeries to remove impacted bowel.   I can not have any coffee or decaf as I get ulcers and the only fat I can have is olive oil per other medial issues.........all of this has been going on for twenty years or more...fiber well regulated many times by NUT.... and eercise and water and a certain sitting on the toilet position and molasses and  acupuncture and pixie dust and......This is beyond medication.   Looking for specific info or Experience with  colostomy or similar as post op. My colorectal surgeon and Bariatric surgeon need to have a sit down and figure this out. I am not being sedated again over shi*% Thanks though. :)

White Dove
on 1/27/15 9:27 pm - Warren, OH

The colorectal surgeon will order testing of your anal sphincter muscle electrical activity.  They may be able to tighten the muscles that are now too loose to work.  I agree that RNY did not cause your problem, but it probably made it more difficult to live with.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bibo
on 1/27/15 11:02 pm

Thanks. Actually it has been easier because now I got referred to the colorectal surgeon instead of being told to stop eating donuts. I have had the evaluations and they are recommending a colostomy....My bypass surgeon strongly disagrees. Mostly because of my ulcers pouch and statistically, I could need a gall bladder removal down the line and stuff like that. Plus risk of adhesions. Anyone actually had one as a post op?

apkat
on 1/28/15 2:37 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Maybe try the complications board (if you haven't already)?  I know this isn't related to your RNY but the people who post on that board might be more likely to have experienced something similar.  I don't remember anyone off the top of my head who had a colostomy but I do try to avoid that board sometimes.  I get too paranoid if I read about too many complications!

apkat
on 1/28/15 2:42 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I also did a search for colostomy and these are the results:  Colostomy search

Most of them look old but you can always read through them and see if there is any info or check the profiles of people involved in the discussions to see if they are still active on OH, I guess.

If the link doesn't work, let me know.

Bibo
on 1/28/15 7:11 am

THANK YOU for the idea. I checked. It does seem old. I have been google-ing also. Appreciate the suggestion I don't remember seeing it either, and I used to be on here a lot. Hmm. I might look on a colostomy forum and see if anyone has a RNY and try that way. Thanks for your help!  Will be checking here periodically.

Chilipepper
on 1/28/15 5:06 pm

How about a couple of bottles of citrate of magnesia.  It works for me

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Bibo
on 1/29/15 9:54 pm

smh.

Most Active