Question about vitimans

edelacruzportis
on 1/25/15 5:56 am - Racine, WI

I'm looking into have the sleeve done. I have a question about the vitamins.....Do we have to take the vitamins that are provided on the website that the bariatric clinic provides? or over the counter does the same job?

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/15 10:09 am

my clinic just told me the things I needed & I went to Walmart

but it might depend on the clinic

poet_kelly
on 1/25/15 12:36 pm - OH

It does not depend on the clinic.

Regardless of what clinic you go to, the vitamins you need will be the same.  And the recommendations of the ASMBS are the same no matter what clinic you go to, as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 11:50 am - OH

Ther is no reason you need any special, expensive kind of vitamin as long as it is a decent quality adult vitamin like Centrum or a generic version of it (as opposed to gummy vitamins which don't have everything you need).

That is true for any type of WLS, but especially true since you are having the sleeve which doesn't change the absorption of vitamins like the RNY or DS do.

Clinics/doctors who sell specific brand of special "bariatric" vitamins usually make money on them...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/25/15 12:38 pm - OH

And some of the vitamins marketed to bariatric patients do not actually have all the nutrients we need, according to the ASMBS. For instance, Wellesse markets a liquid multivitamin to WLS folks that has NO minerals in it.  Bariatric Fusion contains a type of calcium WLS folks don't absorb well and may cause kidney stones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 1/26/15 9:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nobody needs designer bariatric vitamins.  None are as "complete" as they say they are, and your bloodwork will tell you so.  Yes, you can find everything you need at your local pharmacy department.  The only difference is that the doc may insist you do chewables for a while until you are able to swallow easier.  I can tell you that it's not absolutely necessary, but much easier.  I had to take 12 horse pills right out of the gate, and it seemed to take forever to get them down for a while.  DO get the grown up vitamins, though and NOT Flintstones, okay?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1351 views