Surgery coming up this year but now separated

Kath L
on 1/25/15 9:25 am

I have had my initial orientation and am waiting for the call/letter to set up appointments probably this Spring.  I think my surgery may be Summer.  My husband left in October 2014 and I'm worried I will not have his support.  My oldest daughter will be home from university this summer and I have two other daughters 15 and 8.  I have parents just down the road and a sister who lives a few miles away.  

When I first get home, will I need someone at home with me to help?  I'm pretty independent and determined but am a bit concerned that I no longer have a spouse.

Does anyone have any comments about this?

Thanks.

marymo362
on 1/25/15 9:33 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I don't know what surgery you are going to have, but I had lap RNY and didn't need any help at all, physically, but if there's anything you need to have lifted or you need to get somewhere, yes you need someone to drive at first.

sorry about the break-up of your relationship.

Good luck and do well

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

Eggface
on 1/25/15 10:34 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I was pretty much alone for the first 7 days after hospital release, had a visit once a day for the first 4 days. Prepare... water bottles accessible, no lifting, or major twisting, or reaching for a bit... so extra pillows or a fan or something if it's in the top of your closet or attic, climb for it before. Make a basket of things you might need while you recuperate. Have your decaf tea, protein packets, boxes of broth on an easy access shelf. I think you will be fine. You need a ride home so set that up, oh and a ride to your checkup. 

Best wishes. Hope you will soon feel how I do about having WLS... best gift I ever gave myself.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

dancerchick06
on 1/25/15 11:27 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I am sorry you are going through that. I had my husband at home but I didn't need him to be. I was pretty self sufficient and as long as you make sure to get help when you are feeling like you are about to pass out from lack of protein and those issues.  I did have an issue with lack of protein and water and almost passed out but if you have people close, you should be fine. I am sure your daughters will be there to help as well. Good Luck!

-Sarah

MickeyDee
on 1/25/15 11:29 am

Like another poster mentioned, get your stuff together, any big housecleaning projects done, etc., pre-op, water, etc., then don't worry about it.  

Your 15 y.o. should be able to do anything you'd really need to have done, and your sister can do any driving errands you might need.

I was driving after a week, and at home by myself except for a neighbor who took me to a local supermarket for an emergency run.

You'll be fine.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 11:45 am - OH

I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Even with an open (rather than laparoscopic) RNY -- an 8-in*****ision -- I really only needed help for a day or two (getting up and down was difficult).  I did stay with my mom for a whole week, though, because I needed help caring for the terrier puppy I had at the time... Bending to pick up and put down water and foods, bowls, etc.). I have never needed any kind of help after a lap surgery.

As long as you are prepared, and have everything you need at home already (flavored waters, Sf Popsicles, etc.) so you don't need to drive to go out and get something, you will be fine. I did  like having a family member or friend checking on me each day, though, just in case I needed something.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

horrible_monster
on 1/25/15 1:16 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

It's definitely great to have someone on hand to help, so if a relative can check in once or twice a day that would be a good idea. What will definitely be important will be getting stuff prepped beforehand as much as possible. Have things accessible, minimize chores that'll need to be tackled while you're recovering, etc. Be stocked with broth/sf-Jell-O/etc. Be kind and patient with yourself because you deserve it. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/25/15 9:11 pm - UK

Which surgery are you having? Recovery from, say, the DS is totally different to, for example, the band. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

RayaniFoxmur
on 1/26/15 4:06 am - Bowling Green, OH
RNY on 01/13/15 with

I'm sorry you are going through what you are. I had someone but I didn't need them. I was pretty self sufficient from the time I got home other than driving, which I was not allowed to do. 

HW: 446  SW: 391.4 CW: 317.0

http://thernyjourney.blogspot.com - My blog on my journey!!

pammiv
on 1/26/15 5:03 am

So sorry to hear about your recent split.  That is hard even if you are healthy!  I had RNY 12-17-14 and my daughter brought me home and stayed with me.  I was up and about in the house the day I came home trying to get some walking in as it helps the recovery and gas issues from the hospital.  I really was very tired so I pretty much just wanted to sleep.  I loaded my house before with SF popsickles, broth and SF water adds because after surgery, I could not stand the taste of water.  First few days I was not myself energy wise because my body thought I was starving but day by day I felt better.  After surgery you are on the upswing so that helped me to think about.  I didn't have a lot of soreness but my biggest hurdle was it was Christmas and I wanted to eat like the old me.  I had to fight the demon which come January when everyone is trying to lose weight - got a lot easier to fight back! 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active