Putting on weight after a bypass surgery

Avamaye
on 1/25/15 6:31 pm - United Kingdom

Hi

I had my op over 3 years ago and was really on track to getting to my target weight. I fell pregnant and had my son 10 months ago. I have put on 3 and a half stone and think I have stretched my stomach and I need to know is there anything I can do?? I feel really disheartened ive started the gym again and cut right back on my food intake 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 1/26/15 12:28 am
VSG on 12/06/12

You most likely did not stretch your stomach. From what I have read that is a lot harder than people think it is to do. Can you see a nutritionist to help you get back on track? Are you still in contact with your surgeon? They can assess where you are at with your stomach and help you get back on track. Reach out to them.

Gwen M.
on 1/26/15 2:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with the advice to get back in touch with your medical team and that chances are good you haven't stretched out your stomach.  Your pouch is there for life and you can still make it work for you.  

I'd start by logging every single thing you put in your mouth with something like My Fitness Pal.  That will show you what you're eating and what you need to change.  From there I'd work on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy W.
on 1/26/15 5:06 am

Gwen M.'s list is good so I suggest that you use that.

I doubt your stretched your pouch so your WLS tool is still available for you to use and get back on track.  Focus on protein first, drinking water, no grazing, avoid simple carbs and keep going to the gym regularly.  

You lost weight before and you can do it again by returning to the healthy habits you had when you originally lost to your goal weight.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Most Active