Insulin spikes & ketosis

Dakinbar Yes
on 1/27/15 11:21 am
VSG on 05/07/14

Hi,

Hopefully someone can answer this. Does having an insulin spike kick you out of ketosis? Does it depend on the size of the insulin spike? If your diet is normally low carb, and you have an insulin spike (which for the carb eating population wouldn't really be a HUGE spike) is that a very bad thing, or just a not great thing?

I guess if you are only eating 20-30g of carbs in a day you cant start storing up glycogen from that?

I have been doing some reading about the impacts of dairy when doing low carb, and it has said that the carbs in dairy (so in milk for example), can cause insulin spikes that are disproportionate to the amount of carbs they actually contain. Does anyone have any insight around this?

HW 309lb  CW 186 1/9/2015  GW 136     31yr old Female, 5ft3

Bibo
on 1/27/15 11:31 am

I am two years post op and just started having low blood sugar really bad. My NUT took me off ALL dairy because a lot of dairy has sugar added or the animals are fed something that turns to sugar which then passes into the milk /eggs etc...so we then consume more sugar than we realize. Once I stopped the dairy my sugars did not spike as much and I did not get the scary low drops i had been having. as far as ketosis, I am not sure. my weight has been stable........

Tracy D.
on 1/28/15 12:29 am, edited 1/29/15 4:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Not sure I can answer this specifically but I'll try - if you are having an "insulin spike" it actually means you're having a spike in glucose.  Insulin is released in response to glucose.  Glucose is produced as a result of the carbs you're eating.  The resulting sugar/insulin spike will be proportionate to the type of carb you're ingesting.  Fatty/sugary carbs like ice cream and cookies are going to spike it higher and faster than half an apple or the carbs from string cheese or yogurt.  

If you are keeping your carbs to 20-30 grams a day it's pretty hard to get any kind of a sugar/insulin spike (I am a type 2 diabetic and track it) unless you're eating ALL of those at one time.  

I think you are worrying for nothing.  Don't cut out dairy simply because you are worried about a sugar spike that may not even happen.  By doing so you'd cut out a major source of quality protein for yourself. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15