Looking for anyone who has had Lapband over Bariatric with Dr. Edward Hannoush in CT

bjvkdv
on 1/28/15 1:11 am - South Windsor, CT

Good Morning. 

I had gastric bypass in 2005.  I have had minor issues in the last 10 years.  Initially I lost 100 lbs. by 2006 but then had some minor complications which resulted in me consulting with a different surgeon.  That surgeon said I would have to have a complete redo as the surgery was not done right. I had lost so much blood and my recover was not good so I will never want a revision, too scared! 

Today, Jan 28th, 2015, I am now 40 pounds heavier since my surgery in 2005 due to issues that I tried getting resolved.  I can't go back to my original surgeon because the surgery was not done well.  My hemoglobin A1C is 9.1 which is extremely bad. I am now back on two insulins.  I am exercising and making good food choices but need more help. 

Has anyone had lapband after bariactric?  If so, how are you doing today?

Has anyone had lapband surgery from Dr. Edward Hannoush in Farmington, CT?  I have to go to him as no one else will see me due to my original surgeon and his record.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

MyLady Heidi
on 1/28/15 3:44 am

Who was your original surgeon?  I had surgery with Aranow at Middlesex Hospital, you should go see him, the lapband is a huge waste of time.  If Aranow can help you I would do whatever he suggests because he is a very talented surgeon.  I am not sure if he would accept you as a patient though.  What exactly was done wrong the first time around?

bjvkdv
on 1/28/15 5:04 am - South Windsor, CT

Hi, thank you for responding.  I had Carlos Barba at St. Francis Hospital in 2005.  No one from their Bariatric department will even see me because he was my surgeon.  He really messed up quite a few people as I have heard and I know one of them.  I believe there were two deaths as well.  I do know he told us one of his patients died but I read that another died too but he wasn't the surgeon. 

Barba took out too much of my small intestine and the opening to my bypass to my stomach is too big.  Now 10 years later I am very concerned with very high blood sugar, etc.  I am so scared for a redo because I lost so much blood after surgery that I needed 4 blood transfusions (2005).  I am exercising and on two insulins but am worried that I won't be able to lose weight even though that is my goal.  There are folks much worse off than me, but I want to be healthy.  I heard of Aranow. I think I will call that offoce.  Why do you say that lapband is a waste of time?  Just curious.

Thanks

Karen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/28/15 9:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Bands have a high failure rate. I don't have the stats on hand, but I recall something around 50% reoperation rate because of mechanical issues (slipping, scar tissue, etc.) or because they're ineffective and it's possible to eat around them. Because of this, some surgeons/hospitals will no longer place them.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bjvkdv
on 1/28/15 9:45 pm - South Windsor, CT

Thank you.  I appreciate your input and everyone's.  So far the consensus is that it's a waste of time and money and ultimately they may not work.  I am going to do this on my own. Even though my A1C is so high, I am exercising and taking my insulin (hopefully won't gain from taking insulin).  I cut out all bad carbs like pasta (even though I rarely ate it) and crackers, etc.  I can do this on my own with the help of this web site too.  Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/28/15 10:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Good on you! Exercise helps a ton, if you use MapMyRun or any of those apps I'd be happy to add you as a friend to help stay accountable :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bjvkdv
on 1/28/15 11:01 pm - South Windsor, CT

Thank you!  I will check into it and let you know.  I think that is a great idea!  I appreciate your support!

nwnj
on 2/3/15 6:22 am - Newton, NJ

Lapbands are NOT a complete waste of time!  I was banded in 2009 and have lost 120 lbs, met my goal, and have successfully kept all of the weight off 5 years later.  

As with any type of WLS, there are success stories as well as failures.  I would say we all know someone who has struggled with WLS, no matter what type of surgery they had.

That being said, during lap-band surgery, they don't put the band around your brain.  It's just a tool and you have to realize that for the surgery to be successful. On the flip side, there are complications that can occur as mentioned above.  I've been very lucky and haven't experienced any significant problems.  But there can be complications with any type of WLS surgery, as you are well aware.

I believe statistics have proven that you can lose more weight with other types of surgery other than the band and that's why most surgeons are not recommending lap-band surgery as often, although it certainly is still a valid option.

I still attend monthly WLS group meetings and I'm the only person who has a band.  All the others have had either the gastric sleeve or gastric by-pass.  Everyone who is successful at weight loss has enthusiastically said that they would have their surgery again in a heart beat.

Good luck in your journey Karen!

kityez1017
on 2/3/15 6:28 am - Rocky Hill, CT
with

I have worked at St. Francis in the Dept. of Surgery for the past 15 years and I know the bariatric surgeons at the hospital.  They will see you and frequently do revisions on Barba's former patients.  

That being said, I understand your reluctance to have repeat surgery at St. Francis after a bad experience.  I would suggest you look into Dr. Jonathan Aranow, as he is one o f the top bariatric surgeons in the state.

danixbanani
on 1/28/15 5:02 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Why get a lapband over your bypass?  That is a waste of time, money, and energy.  I would look into a revision to DS maybe or sleeve if possible...sorry, good luck.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active