Frustrated!!!

TruSe
on 1/28/15 8:20 am

I recently was sleeved on 12/2/14 and I hit a stall. I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks. I am only 27lbs down since surgery. I workout 5-6 days a week and eat 800 cals per day. I don't understand why I haven't lost any weight. I'm working so hard. Has anyone experienced a stall so soon after surgery?

Sarah M.
on 1/28/15 11:38 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I had my sleeve 9 days ago, and haven't lost anything since day 5.  Down 5lb from surgery.  I too am walking every day and sticking to my diet perfectly.  I've been reading that many people have a "stall" early on while your body figures out what the hell is going on.  I'm hoping that's true...I am frustrated as well.  I think we just have to hang in there while everything readjusts.   If you're drinking your water, eating all your protein, and staying away from the carbs and sugar (including fruit juice, dried fruit, etc.), then things will kickstart again soon.  At least it better!!! :)

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Kate -True Brit
on 1/28/15 5:57 pm - UK

Reassure yourself by using the seach function (magnifying glass in blue bar).  You will find quite literally hundreds of posts asking this and being told it is normal. Put in things like 3 week stall, 4 week stall, no early loss, stopped losing etc. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 2:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The 800 calories a day you're eating sounds right - but what is that comprised of?  How many grams of protein are you eating and how many grams of carb?  How many ounces of water are you drinking?  

If you are doing every thing right and the scale isn't budging it's because you are retaining water while your body is shedding fat.  It happens...all the time.  

And yes, almost everyone on here has had their fair share of "stalls" or "pauses" in the scale going downward.  It doesn't mean you're not doing everything right or the surgery didn't work for you.  It's just the way the body works.  Please don't let a stupid number on the scale (the WORST measurement of true fat loss!) impact your emotions, your food plan or your satisfaction with yourself.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

TruSe
on 1/30/15 6:07 am
  1. Thanks Everyone! I went to my surgeon today and asked him about my  stall. He said I am doing great! I get 80+g of protein and 80+ ozs of water. I eat no carbs. The doc told me to increase my food intake to 1000 cals and to continue my cardio and It will start to fall off again. He assured me I am doing everything right! I'm glad to here im not the only one!

I'm concerned about a friend. She had surgery over a month ago and has not started regular foods. She is still eating soft foods.  Her doctor want her to continue soft foods for an additional four weeks. She only eat eggs and crabmeat. 

I know every doctor's guidance is different but this does not sound normal to me. When I had surgery my doctor instructed me to eat in phases. 1-2 weeks liquids, 3rd week puree, and 4-5th week soft foods.

At my one month's doctor appointment I was instructed to start regular food. I made sure to eat chicken and turkey, food with a lot of protein. I also would drink protein shakes to make sure I had enough protein.

Another issue I have is her surgeon told her it was fine for her take Flinstone vitamins. Taking Flinstone vitamins after bariatric surgery is the craziest thing I'v ever heard. I stress to her to look into the bariatric vitamins. 

I am concerned she will have a set back. She does not listen to me. I followed my doctor's order and I have not had any issues. I was the model patient. I know everyone is different but the guidance her doctor is providing does not sound normal.

My question to the community is when did you start eating regular food? Have you every heard of someone instructed to eat soft foods for two months? 

Most Active