Four month stall?

Elle_Bear_Fabulous
on 1/28/15 1:53 pm

I am experiencing a four month stall. I'm just about 10 months out (RNY) and my doctor told me to expect a three month stall at this stage, but it has turned into four months. I do need to be honest. I eat more than I am supposed to. My plan is that I eat 3/4 to 1 cup of food three times a day. No snacking. I eat the correct foods and no snacking but I do eat more than one cup. I do not binge or eat until my pouch hurts. I eat foods that slide through my pouch easily such as cottage cheese and salad (vinger dressing only). But I have been eating the same since month four out of surgery. I began to exercise daily, for almost two weeks, three days of cardio at the gym each week and i do 100 crunches a day at home. But I haven't had any weight loss. My question is.... Is this plateau normal (because my doctor told me to expect it) or is it my food portions? I am struggling with accepting it as my food portions since I have been eating the same for a while now. But I am also struggling with my doctors reasoning because it has just gone on for so long. I am in need of support, please no bashing. I just want to beat this plateau but I know there is no way to make them stop. I hate plateaus.

RNY- 4/02/2014

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 1/28/15 1:56 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I have never heard of a three month stall.  There is the 3 week stall.  If you are stalled for 3 months they your calories are exceeding what your body is burning.  How many calories are you eating per day?  When losing I kept my calories at 1000 or less.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/28/15 5:32 pm, edited 1/28/15 5:33 pm - UK

Stalls are, as you realise, going to happen. But this is a very long one! My suspicion is that you may be eating more than you think. My longest stall ever was a couple of weeks and I was eating 1000-1200 calories a day. And I don't have malabsorption to help as I am banded.

So clearly, for me, I was taking in just over 1000 calories a day while burning more than that! We all seem to have different calorific needs, I accept I may be luckier in this respect than others.

But, although calories from different sources can have different effects, basically you have to work out your tipping point in terms of calorie intake.

Try measuring and recording every mouthful for a week or so. Then drop it a bit.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

margaret odom
on 1/28/15 9:00 pm - sumner, GA

Sorry to hear this..Seems like to long of a stall for sure.. Stalls are common but not usually months especially with you just being 10 months out. Not enough protein has made me stall somewhat but when I kicked it up it would get going again. I do think you are eatting something that is not right. Especially when you are even also exercising. Start writing it down... EVERYthING that going in.. Mix it up a bit and try new foods also... Hope this helps...

Karma....What would life be without it?  250lbs gone! 410/160... Life's sweet!

NYMom222
on 1/28/15 9:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That does seem long, very frustrating. My suggestion would be to change up what you are eating. Try different foods, maybe more solid ones rather than cottage cheese so you get full faster. I know every doc is different in what they recommend, but maybe splitting up your meals so you were eating less at one time might help. Eating 4-5 times a day. Also don't be afraid of eating some fat.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 1/29/15 1:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I also have never heard of a routine stall at ten months. It doesn't sound like a stall, it sounds like maintenance. You know that you are eating more than you should. If you want to lose more, you'll need to cut back.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 1:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Four month "stall" = maintenance level of calories/exercise.   There's no such thing as a 4-month stall.  If you're not losing weight you have discovered the number of calories you have to eat for maintenance.  

If you want to lose you need to cut calories and carbs.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Elle_Bear_Fabulous
on 1/29/15 2:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your input, feedback, and questions. The obvious reason for my "plateau" is because I am eating too much. Thank you for making me realize it and except it! I have started a food journal and currently for the day I have consumed 968 calories, which is perfect! I must keep this journal going in order to succeed :)

Thanks again!

RNY- 4/02/2014