Bloating and "stretched" feeling after eating

Butterfly56
on 1/29/15 2:39 am - MA

Hi.  I am 3 1/2 years post RNY, and lately have had extreme bloating and a feeling like my abdominal skin is stretched to capacity, even when eating very small amounts.  I just had a Quest protein bar, and my pants now feel a size too small!  I've had no complications, and this has been happening for several weeks.  My diet has not changed, but I am exercising less.  Would lack of exercise have anything to do with this?  Has anyone else had this experience?  I've maintained my 150+ loss, keeping a 5 lb. range consistently. 

Thanks for your help!

Butterfly56

Dolphingirl1385
on 1/29/15 2:45 am

I know that some protein bars have a lot of carbs, and only being 7 months out myself I cant eat them.  When I have tried to eat them or other carbs, such as a couple of bites of rice or bread I get that horrible bloated feeling so I leave them alone completely.  

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

Valerie G.
on 1/29/15 6:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm thinking of a couple of possibilities here.

First thought - you may be developing an intolerance to something.  For me, it's straight milk and whey protein.  My gas and bloating are horrible from those.  All other dairy is fine for me...go figure.  Onions were a staple in my house once upon a time, too.  Now they are the devil.  Terriyaki sauce was a complete surprise.  Identifying and eliminating these culprits took years to figure out, but so much has changed since I'm living without them.

Next thought is bacterial imbalance.  Those of us with malabsorption tend to get an occasional imbalance of bacteria in the bowel.  Many take probiotics to prevent it, but sometimes it just happens.  You can try adding a probiotic pill or just eat more yogurt and sauerkraut to get it naturally.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/15 7:42 pm, edited 1/29/15 8:03 pm

Quest bars have lots of fiber... If you are able to digest it (like i was) - your body turns that into sugar and gas right into your small intestines...that will cause bloating and gas and blood sugar fluctuation..it sucks ..

But i learned to avoid foods like that . and onions. And whey...etc..

Google SIBO... There are more studies that show that after RNY we may be prone to that...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Butterfly56
on 2/5/15 11:06 pm - MA

Thank you all for your replies.  Definitely "food" for thought!  I've paid very careful attention to what I've been eating, and not eating, the past week or so, and the symptoms of bloating, etc. have not changed.  I even went 24 hours without eating as an experiment and the tight, stretched feeling remained.  After more research, it may actually be a hormonal issue, so I'm going to the doctor next week to explore that possibility, and then go from there. 

Thank you, and I'll keep you posted.  :-)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/15 11:11 pm

App 3 years post op, i was dealing with a lot of blothing...and pain..i was diagnosed with severe constipation, even though i was having Good BM every day. I was litteraly "full of ****"...

Now i take miralax every day - 2 capfulls a day... I still have days that i know that i did not have a complete BM..so then i have one day of mostly liquids   with some fat, and try to get really clean. 

You may need a good CT.... 

Good luck. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Butterfly56
on 2/5/15 11:18 pm - MA

Well, I've been told I'm full of **** but never thought it could be literally!  lol  I do have occasional bathroom issues, but this bloating thing is relatively new, getting worse, and making me nuts!  I do take a softener every day, but maybe more is in order.  At this point, I'll try anything.  I do have some Miralax at home, and snow on the way (again!) so I won't have much else to do.  It's going to be a crappy weekend anyway, sooooo......   lol

Take care.

Butterfly

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/15 11:32 pm

I can't tell you what to do, but i would try very liquid diet for the next 2 days, taking miralx as if you would try to get clean for coloniscopy and sees how long it will take to get clean stuff...

Once time for me it was a freaking 2 days.... I was going and going and going...

But - if you decide to do that - make sure to drink lots of salty drinks like chicken broth, add salt to protein shakes, etc, drink enough water - too make sure you don't get dehydrated... 

I used to mix mineral drinks - to make sure i don't deplete my body of essential minerals.  Goid luck..

BTW - i am going to have colonoscopy in 10 days... I need to start my prep 2 days ahead, due to my part issues.. It is gonna to be fun fun fun... (Not)

Butterfly56
on 2/12/15 11:58 pm - MA

Guess what?  You were right!  I had a CT scan because my surgeon suspected a hernia, and found I was severely constipated, even though I do go almost every day.  I have to take a bottle of Magnesium Citrate over the weekend (oh joy) and Miralax daily.  Anything to make this bloating go away!  When you do mostly liquids with some fat on some days, what do you have?  I'll try that, too.

Thank you, and have a very nice Valentine's Day.

Butterfly

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/13/15 12:34 am

I would have chicken stock, blended soups, protein drinks (based on almond and coconut unsweetened milk), mashed avocado... 

or even well blended egg drop soup with some fat added (i can't use butter, so I use coconut oil or bacon fat)

I stay app 1000 cal that day... with 650-60 gr of proteins ...and rest from fat and veggies..  too much proteins can be constipating so I try to get bare minimum..

1 cup chicken stock, a 2 oz chicken, 1 cooked carrot, 1/2 avocado. Blend on high... add salt and pepper as needed... eat with a spoon...(creamy thick soup)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1371 views