Alcohol after WLS

Melanielw
on 2/24/15 2:19 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

Let me start off first by saying I am not planning on drinking anytime soon (I am only a month pre-op). Also, that I am not a big drinker anyways. I am just curious as to how alcohol is tolerated after WLS. My surgeon never said alcohol was a no go forever, so that's why I am curious to hear people's opinions on it. 

White Dove
on 2/25/15 4:25 am - Warren, OH

My surgeon suggests waiting one year and then trying a drink at home.  A small amount of alcohol makes me very buzzed.  Sipping a half glass of white wine has made come close to falling.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/24/15 4:38 pm - OH

Most surgeons tell their patients to avoid alcohol for at least 6 months, but many suggest not until you are done losing (since it is just empty calories and carbs).

Alcohol tolerance varies from person to person, but since you had a VSG, there isn't any change in the absorption of alcohol the way there is for a RNYer or DSer... so other than it getting into your intestine faster (since it will no longer sit in your stomach) and therefore hitting you a bit faster, it won't change much.

In general, for people with RNY, though, it takes very little to make us tipsy since the alcohol gets dumped directly into the lower intestine (and then the also buzz fades pretty quickly).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MickeyDee
on 2/24/15 4:47 pm

You might want to pose this question on the VSG forum.  There would probably be more people with immediate feedback re: effects.

For myself, as an RNY, I might drink 1/2 a glass of wine but no more.  It hits me much quicker than it ever did in the past, and I once made a mistake by drinking an entire 2 full glasses of wine and driving on Hwy 1 in Santa Cruz, CA, which is nutz at any hour.  I was VERY fortunate not to hurt anyone else and that the CHP didn't find me and ticket me.  

If you do choose to drink, make sure someone else is driving!

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/24/15 5:00 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

If you drink 30 minutes after you eat be aware you will be drinking on an empty stomach... It is advised that you use descretion on how much you consume...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Melanielw
on 2/24/15 5:22 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I don't plan on drinking like I said but it is nice to know your opinions. Thank you all for your input. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/24/15 6:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

On an extended low calorie, high protein, low carb diet, your body will be burning excess fat. While that happens your liver and kidneys will be working very hard to filter and remove those waste products. Alcohol will make that job even more difficult, and you could risk serious organ damage. 

Most doctors check labs every three months after surgery. It has little to do with vitamins, and much more to check organ function. As long as you are burning fat and losing weight, avoid all alcohol.

The other issue can be transfer addiction. A significant number of WLSers turn to alcohol as a substitute for food after surgery. Read some of those stories on OH about how alcohol ruined lives after surgery, and hopefully you'll think again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/24/15 9:01 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
Valerie G.
on 2/24/15 9:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all, you don't drink at all until you've stopped losing weight.  This is about a year.  The reason is that the rapid weight loss is very straining on your liver.  Adding alcohol to the mix may lead to permanent damage.  Many docs advise against it for life because of addictive personalities - the addiction can transfer from food to alcohol way too easy.

What's it like, you ask?  It hits me like a freight train before I'm halfway down the glass.  When you do imbibe, have a wingman to make sure you don't go home with a stranger.  Seriously, you need supervision!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/24/15 9:42 pm

Grimm & Valerie nailed it: drinking during weight loss is hard on your liver (and you NEED your liver) and transfer addiction might be an issue.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1466 views