Seven years since lapband was very successful have gained a small amount can i use...

samzac
on 3/1/15 11:35 pm
with

is it ok to use Metamucil to fight hunger

Valerie G.
on 3/2/15 1:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

So you want to load up on carbs to fight hunger?  It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  It would do you better to fill your pouch up with something like protein to give you some nutrition. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kate -True Brit
on 3/2/15 3:18 am - UK
On March 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:

So you want to load up on carbs to fight hunger?  It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  It would do you better to fill your pouch up with something like protein to give you some nutrition. 

Val, we don't fill the pouch. If we do that we risk damaging the oesophagus. Food should pass through the band in under a minute. But I agree Metamucil sounds a daft idea! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 3/2/15 3:16 am - UK

We don't have metamucil over here so I just googled it. It says a fibre additive and laxative- how would that stop you feeling hungry? I take a UK equivalent when I get constipated but it doesnt't do anything for hunger. 

And it would be completely not in keeping with how tha band works. I assume it is liquid and liquids don't stop our hunger -we need dense foods, esoecially protein, which pass through slowly. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 3/2/15 4:27 am

Kate -- in addition to the Metamucil additive to liquid, they have recently started to market Fiber Bars --- but, I agree that their carb content makes them a bad idea for weight loss (the TV commercials here feature an ex-football star who is now a talk-show host --- he says that eating the bars makes it easier to give up the 'bad stuff')

Original poster --- I agree with the others that lean, solid protein will go farther in controlling your hunger --- the meta bars and other products are going to feed the sugar monster in you -- and just make you want more carbs.

Kath

Hislady
on 3/2/15 5:02 am - Vancouver, WA

You should check with your surgeon because I was told not to take any fiber that would expand in the stomach and cause a blockage. I also agree with the others good dense protein would be the best choice!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1401 views