Gastric Sleeve Surgery - How Much Time Off Work?

Adele8148
on 2/28/15 6:22 am

I will have gastric sleeve surgery this Thursday, March 5.  My surgeon's office staff gave me an approval letter to return to work the following Monday, March 9 (4 days after surgery).   I work a desk job.   Is 4 days enough time to recover from gastric sleeve surgery before returning to work?

tstowe
on 2/28/15 7:36 am

I don't think so.

I felt fine after a few days but being on a clear liquid diet... I just got tired very easily.

I took two weeks off.

Adele8148
on 2/28/15 12:03 pm

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate your feedback.

samanthalc
on 2/28/15 7:56 am
with

I'm interested in this answer, too.  And from what I've seen on the boards, the answers vary wildly.  For those of you that took longer than a week, can you help us pre-procedure understand at what point you felt well enough from the procedure to return to a desk job, and at what point you felt more-or-less normal from the calorie restricted diet?

In other words, I imagine your incision cites and ability to consume water to adequately meet hydration needs comes well before you get over the lightheadedness from the calorie restriction.  Can you give more details on that?

Thanks in advance.

Adele8148
on 2/28/15 12:05 pm

Thank you for adding to my original question.  I am wondering the same thing!  :-)

Melanielw
on 2/28/15 8:05 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I would AT LEAST take 2 weeks off. Some people feel great after surgery, and then some people feel terrible. You never know how you might feel so its better to be safe than sorry. If you are working a more physical job then I say 3 weeks, but if its a desk job then after 2 weeks you should be okay. I quit my job right before surgery (i was moving so the timing was right),but there is no way I could of returned to work 4 days after surgery if I had stilll been working . I felt really tired, and I was just uncomfortable. Plus your body needs time for you to heal and the extra time off will help you with that. I am really surprised your surgeon would release you so soon-my surgeon told me at least 2 weeks. 

Adele8148
on 2/28/15 12:15 pm

Taking two weeks off work is not an option for me, unfortunately.   Thank you very much for your response.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/15 8:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I took two and a half weeks, since I had a rough recovery (no pain meds) and I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. Though some people are back in action after one week.

Your time away may depend on your office policies regarding PTO and/or short-term disability. I had two weeks of sick/vacation time, so I was OK being out for so long. If you'd be without a paycheck if you were home, though, that could be different. You may want to check in with HR if you have any questions-- no need to mention what KIND of surgery you're having, but say you'll be gone for medical stuff.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Adele8148
on 2/28/15 12:18 pm

I am not able to take more than a week off work, unfortunately.  Thank you for your response.   : )

luxurycouture
on 2/28/15 9:01 am

I am just a week and a half post op and I am back to work part time. I own my business, so I am able to make my own hours, but I think 4 days after surgery is a little too soon. You don't know how you'll feel afterwards. Everyone is different. 

I had an easy recovery, but I took the pain meds for 3 or 4 days after I was released. It's the moving around quickly that is hard. Bending down because of incision wounds. Even getting up from the toilet is a little difficult 4 days after. It was for me at least. If I had a regular job, I would want two weeks off to recover and to get everything together. 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Most Active