Need help getting back on track

kathygardner
on 3/2/15 1:17 pm - GA

I had surgery 8 years ago...help!!! gained back 30lbs.. I would like to stay 190-200 lbs, nothing more. I am now at 230. I am back in the gym 4times weekly but still have the hanging skin under backside of arms. Any suggestions.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sadly, nothing but plastic surgery will help with loose skin.

To get back on track, make sure you're recording everything you eat, myfitnesspal is great for that. Aim for 60+g protein, few carbs, and you may want to check with your surgeon for calories (800ish seems to be the norm, YMMV). Drink as much water as you can, at least 60oz/day.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kathygardner
on 3/2/15 2:14 pm - GA

Thank you so much. I will  do the 60 plus protein and carbs is not problem for me because I don't eat them. I have bread EVERY BLUE MOON. I really have to have a craving for it. Pastas, rice, EVERY BLUE MOOM also. I have never been a bread, rice or pasta person. Now, my weakness is STARBUCKS! Good Lord, I am working in that area...lol. I fell off track before graduating from college  and marital issues. Now, marriage over, graduated college and happy in my field. Now time to get the 30 lbs off!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Congrats on graduating! :)

Starbucks isn't so bad if you go for skim or soy milk and sugar-free syrup. Just make sure you drink lots of water too!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kathygardner
on 3/2/15 7:24 pm - GA

Thank you! It was a long haul but God! I'm very thankful for earning by degree in Mortuary Service and now a full time Embalmer/Funeral Director. I love my work. I do get sugar-free syrup but the milk I need to work on. LOL. Thank you so much for your help. Have a great day!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/2/15 7:31 pm

Milk has lots of sugar. Unfortunately. So even though you don't eat brad or pasta - the natural sugar in milk is still sugar. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathygardner
on 3/3/15 3:55 am - GA

Thank you for your response! Ill cut back on the milk

Valerie G.
on 3/2/15 10:50 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Agreed - no exercise will tighten up damaged skin (and that's exactly what it is) after the fat melts away from underneath.  To lose weight, you need to change what you eat more than anything.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathygardner
on 3/3/15 3:56 am - GA

Thank you!!

lynnc99
on 3/3/15 2:59 am

I had surgery in July 2009 and the answer for me to get "back to basics" is accountability. Wherever you may find it - regular check ins with your support group, dr. visits, or whatever....I wasn't able to address regain on my own. I now work with a dietitian and have weekly weigh ins scheduled. It has helped a LOT - I am down 20 # (with 15 to go) since mid November. Losing the regain has been very slow - not like the honeymoon phase loss - but it has helped me refocus a LOT on what is most important. 

Water - lots

Protein First

Log your food - every bite, every morsel

No refined carbs (sorry) - my "treat" is now half a sweet potato!

No refined sugar - or very, very limited intake

For me - no sugar alcohols unless I want to spend a day in the bathroom (TMI, sorry)

Eat every few hours - again, this is my definite preference and need - if I let myself get too hungry, I go overboard

And again, for me - I limit dairy products now, although my protein includes a couple of whey protein shakes each day

We CAN do this! Don't try to do it alone - we all remember the feeling of waking up every day promising to do "better" - and what happens. I have given a lot of thought to the pain that comes along with confronting regain. We've done a drastic thing in having surgery....and now, have to ask ourselves if we have "failed" somehow. We're ashamed when the "skinny jeans" don't zip. All of it. We understand here, and I encourage you to keep the conversation rolling. Believe me, many of us have been there. Sadly though, I believe that many post ops simply fade away when they have regained....rather than dare to address it head on. It's part of the permanent change of MIND that we need....

I check the "grads" forum regularly too - regain is a topic that comes up there fairly regularly. 

Best wishes to you!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1219 views