Surgery at ten in the morning!!!!! Scared out of my mind!

shorty85
on 3/2/15 10:48 am

i have been a silent observer for years and yeas and years.... Amazing people finding their way to health!  Hoping wishing praying...knowing that I neeeeeeed this so badly....so badly. I need to lose 222 lbs. And finally....here I am.....insurance wouldn't pay.....my incredible husband is 100% for me! My grown son (a little boy when I started this journey) is more than excited for me.... I've lost and regained and have lost enough again to proceed. SO...WHY am I SOOOOO scared? removing 85% of my stomach and my grehlin gland.....forever....forever. Did I say forever? And of the 222 lbs I need to lose Dcos say one generally only loses 65% of the excess weight which means I've still got 79 lbs to go to get to MY magic number....But WHY am I soooooo terrified...I've been praying for this for sooooo long! I already am doing the protein drinks...walking 30 minutes on the treadmill everyday....doing ALL that is asked of me..... It's just zoo much to wrap my head around...I'm rambling now....Am I crazy? has anyone else felt this way?

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/15 11:11 am - Canada

I felt the same way. Just focus on the long term goals. You're son with have a healthier mother, your husband a healthier wife. You will enjoy so many more experiences if you can ambulate better. One of my goals is to toboggan with my grandson next winter. Pick something that you absolutely can't see spending your life not doing. I'll be thinking of you and let us know how it went as soon as you're up to it. Chris

shorty85
on 3/2/15 11:18 am

Thank you soooo much! I'm a tough old lady....I know I can.....it's just alot!

highdesertblue
on 3/2/15 11:37 am - AZ

I am praying for calm for you. It IS a big lifestyle change, but it will be SO worth it! It took me a long time to get the nerve to go through with surgery with many ups and downs. I finally have insurance coverage and my surgery is in two weeks. I've had other abdominal surgeries, so I know the surgery itself might be scary, but once you have surgery and begin getting rid of that excess weight, any concern about the surgery will be a distant memory. This is all about getting healthy. It is normal to be scared, and you are not alone. I made a list of reasons why I want to lose weight that had nothing to do with looks. Maybe that will help. I want to be able to play with my grandchildren and go for walks, maybe even hikes. I want to have room to hold them on my lap. I want to be able to travel without asking for a seatbelt extender. I want to be able to walk without pain and getting terribly out of breath... I have 200 lbs to lose. I know that life will be better after I lose even 100 lbs. I get cold feet the closer I get to surgery, but sharing my feelings really helps. I pray that you will have a smooth surgery with easy healing. I pray that you will lose the weight you need to lose to be healthy. I pray that you will get some good rest tonight.

shorty85
on 3/2/15 11:56 am

Thank you so very much...All of this I know....but simply needed to voice it! Thank you for your encouragement!

Lizzi2003
on 3/2/15 11:40 am

My surgery is Thursday and I am scared too. It's a major surgery, it is forever, but anything we would do to be healthier would be "forever".  The process can be overwhelming. Think to how much better things will be after. 

shorty85
on 3/2/15 12:00 pm

Indeed!!!! Good Luck to you took!!!!

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/2/15 2:43 pm

I think it is perfectly normal to be scared.  It's human nature to fear the unknown.  You're being very brave by taking your health seriously enough to have a major surgery to get you as healthy as you can be.  That is something to be proud of and when you get into the swing of losing weight and then into maintenance you will look back and think how perfectly wonderful it all was to get you to the point you need to be.  Best wishes!

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/15 8:24 pm

I was scared as my surgery got closer. I was really nervous if I made the right decision. I am glad I did it. I was really lucky with an easy recovery. 

Best wishes to you. Your not crazy. This was the best thing I did for myself.

Kathy S.
on 3/3/15 4:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active