VSG surgery in 6 weeks???

beelitehobbies
on 3/4/15 11:36 am - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Hello

I am scheduled for  VSG surgery in 6 weeks. Afraid a little but mostly excited.

The one dilemma that I have may sound stupid? It isn't to me. I would like to keep the surgery to my immediate family and close friends? these are the only people that know what's coming on April 27th.

I have not wanted to tell co-workers? My work position dictates some form of discretion and I am strictly business at work. Want to continue that way? Plan was to just say "diet and exercise" However I am not 100% at this point? Have 100's of people around me and my facility. as well as an equal number at other facilities across Canada and the USA that know and see me regularly?

Is this a crazy idea? Has anyone else also not told co-workers?

thank you

kathkeb
on 3/4/15 12:10 pm

I am a work at home and only see coworkers periodically, so my situation is a bit different

Everyday coworkers will see you lose gradually ... My coworkers who see me twice a year saw 50 pound changes at a time.

Once you tell 1 person at work, you have told everyone.

I did not want pre-surgery advice or horror stories, so I kept it private.

After surgery, when appropriate, I told a few people.  Primarily people who were also morbidly obese and genuinely interested in how I was getting healthy.

My experience spurred at least 3 coworkers to investigate and decide to have WLS ..... And I am honored that my experience helped others.

Kath

beelitehobbies
on 3/4/15 12:30 pm, edited 3/4/15 12:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Very good answer! Much appreciated advice.

thank you

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If someone asks and you don't want to explain, I've just said "I've been working hard at it" which is absolutely true. No need to go any further!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cathy W.
on 3/4/15 11:15 pm

I didn't tell anyone.  My husband and sons obviously knew and I told my best friend but that's it.  I didn't want to hear the "you're gonna die" type of horror stories.  You don't owe anyone the information just because they ask.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Valerie G.
on 3/4/15 11:41 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are many who have chosen this, but be warned.  If you want to keep this out of work, then tell ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, not your closest colleague ... anyone!  Everybody talks, even if to one or two people, they talk.  If it comes out that you've done anything other than what you've told everyone, there goes your credibility and integrity in the workplace.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/5/15 8:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

This is a topic that is discussed on OH often.  There is no right or wrong answer.

I did not keep my surgery a secret from anyone.  If someone asks how I lost weight, I tell them I had surgery.  If you plan to keep this a secret, keep in mind that in most cases, people will talk about you and speculate why you've lost weight.  If you lie and they later discover the truth, your credibility and integrity is shot.

There is a stigma attached to having WLS and unless those of us who have come through it are open and honest, the shame attached to it will continue.  I don't care what people think of my decision.  It's my life, my body and I know what's best for me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

beelitehobbies
on 3/14/15 7:14 am - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Wildly opposing view points on this? I think still, that only family and my best friend will be told?

I had some minor surgery 2 years ago. at first I had lots of questions, I said very little and in no time it died. Undoubtedly talk was still out there? However if they know nothing, little more can be said in my experiences in the past?

thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Most Active