Liver biopsy

helionoftroy
on 3/6/15 10:14 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I spent 4 hours yesterday at the hospital taking care of all the pre registration requirements for surgery. They took blood, did an EKG, chest X-ray, and an ultrasound on my veins. The nurse handed me the paperwork to sign for my surgery, Roux-En-Y with possible hernia repair and liver biopsy. Wait a minute!!! Liver biopsy??? Why a liver biopsy? What's wrong with my liver? The nurse took the papers & told me I can sign them later. I see my surgeon on the 17th. I plan on asking a lot of questions the first being what's up with the liver biopsy!!

Maria27
on 3/6/15 11:55 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It's standard. They only do the biopsy if your liver looks unhealthy. Most severely obese people have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. That is why they include it. My form also included possible gallbladder removal, but I just had an ultrasound that said my gallbladder is fine.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

helionoftroy
on 3/6/15 8:57 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you, it makes me feel better knowing it's standard procedure. I plan on asking my surgeon about my gallbladder also. 

Poodlemac
on 3/6/15 6:49 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I've NEVER heard of a liver biopsy being "standard"!  That's a big dang deal!!  Why were they doing a vein study??  I had fatty liver at one point, but it resolved itself with diet and NO biopsy required. My pcp (at the time) did ask if I "wanted a biopsy"!!  I declined. Duh!!

helionoftroy
on 3/6/15 9:00 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm not sure exactly why the did the vein ultrasound. I do have heart disease with a stent in my right artery. 

Maria27
on 3/7/15 1:45 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Including it on the consent form is standard. They only do it if they see a reason for it. There is a standard set of procedures that they list on the consent form, but that doesn't mean that everyone has the procedures. It's in case they see a reason to do it during the surgery.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/6/15 7:36 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

It's standard at any Bariatric Center of Excellence.  It's extremely intelligent to take this biopsy while they're already in there -- obese people often have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and this is the best way to know the extent, if any.  I had no symptoms and wouldn't have ever know I had minor liver damage had it not been done.  It reinforced the wisdom of my WLS 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

helionoftroy
on 3/6/15 9:05 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Riverside surgical is a Bariatric Center of Excellence!! My insurance requires it. They have been very thorough with all the tests & studies. I feel much better now knowing this!! Thank you. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/7/15 2:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am very glad. 

Have confidence in your surgeon -- he wants you to succeed, too.  It makes him look good!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sarah M.
on 3/8/15 11:13 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

My surgery was at a bariatric COE as well (John Muir in Northern California), and I also had to sign consent for a livery biopsy, hernia repair (should I need it) and my WLS.  I think the biopsy inclusion is pretty standard. My surgeon did the biopsy and I had fatty liver.  I have no idea what that means and haven't spent too much time worrying about it because it will likely resolve itself with proper diet and exercise.  I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Most Active