Doctors Are Not Kidding " NO INSAIDS POST OP"

huskergalWsD
on 3/3/15 9:59 pm

I was ordered to take Baby aspirin for my heart condition from my cardiologist. They know I had Wls. I said I am not suppose to take NSAIDS. SO I am taking them and now experiencing Lock Jaw. This is nothing to joke around about.. I cannot open my mouth to eat.I can drink liquids barely.81 mg. is doing this to me. Listen to the Wls surgeons. is very unpleasant to live with.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Valerie G.
on 3/3/15 10:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Why did you NOT speak up when he told you to take NSAIDS???  A cardiologist likely knows little to nothing about wls post op rules.  You should have taken responsibility yourself and insisted he research ramifications or at least call your RNY surgeon to consul before you put that aspirin in your mouth. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kate -True Brit
on 3/3/15 10:58 pm - UK

Why did you not ask him to check with your bariatric team?  In my ignorancr, I can't see the link between NSAIDs and lockjaw - can you explain this? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/3/15 11:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

WLS patients don't take NSAIDs because of ulcer risk. Not because of TMD!

Asprin does not cause lockjaw; according to the FDA adverse effects database, the number of people *****ported TMD after taking Asprin were EXTREMELY few. If anything, patients can use Asprin or other NSAIDS to TREAT lockjaw.

I am very skeptical that the Asprin prescribed by your cardiologist caused any lockjaw issues, much less because of your surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Zee Starrlite
on 3/4/15 1:30 am

Oh geez!

I've never had lock jaw but have suffered from TMJ during some periods throughout my life especially when my teeth were not in alignment (braces as a teen then in my late 20's).  I have what they term a "3rd class jaw".  I am all but cured of that because I am sure to wear my retainers at night and my permenant brace cemented in back of my front lower teeth have been a bite saver 

Are you sure it is the aspirin?  NSAIDS are not recommended for the WLS patient  because it increases the risk of developing stomach ulcers . . .  even the general public is at some risk for stomach ulcers from NSAID use/abuse.

I just popped 2 Aleve - a flare is beating me today - I've soakedstretched, done all I can do so now it is time for the NSAID.  A couple of weeks out from surgery I was in this situation my doc said "L., take it (NSAID) if you need it " Knock on wood, so far no lock jaw experiences .

Have you fixed your hernias and teeth yet?  Maybe the root cause 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/4/15 4:49 am

Zee, I'm sure you know this, but there are people researching here that don't, so I'm going to point out that the OP has RNY, which means no NSAIDs, ever. 

Zee has VSG, which is a gastric sleeve stomach, and CAN take NSAIDs responsibly. 

The OP is not the first RNY person who says they have a Dr telling them it's OK to take NSAIDS. With RNY there is a risk of marginal ulcers, and that blind stomach can't be scoped, and you also can't orally take medication to sooth any ulcer that results from taking NSAIDs. 

NSAIDs are not OK when given by IV or injection either (for RNY). 

Understand your own surgery. Know what rules you have to live by. YOU live with the repercussions, not that Dr.

Just because someone with MD after thier name tells you something is fine, YOU should know better. Drs are not all knowing gods.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/4/15 6:00 am

Hey Amy!  I was being kinda silly.  This O.P. is always in this sort of dilemma.  We have to be our own best advocates.  I always consider what a medical professional says but ultimately I make my own choice.  I live with myself, and with my body forever.  She knows very welll that she should not be taking NSAIDS with her RNY.

Thank God for my awesome doctors though.

All Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 6:21 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The problem isn't "NSAIDs are bad." OP knows this. The problem is "NSAIDS cause lockjaw," which is untrue as far as I've seen.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/4/15 9:10 am

Well, she DOES need to be aware of not taking NSAIDs, but I didn't touch on the lockjaw thing. I'm lost as to why she thinks there is a correlation, but she is an example of why we need to understand whatever surgery we choose to have, and be informed and advocate for ourselves. I do realize she has a history here too, but I'm concerned deficiencies may be more of an issue for her than NSAIDS.

Kathy S.
on 3/4/15 2:19 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi huskergal,

I don't think the asprin had anything to do with your lock jaw, but check with your surgeon.  We have to make sure the right hand is communicating to the left hand.  I was told in the ER they thought I had liver cancer due to my high white count level for the liver. My surgeon said it was due to me having 2 glasses of wine.

NSAIDS I avoid at all cost but I know with the abuse I put my body through the day will come when my knees, back and hips will say other wise.

Keep us posted on what you find out! 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active