Gastroparesis - Anybody else got this problem pre-surgery?

Smith8216
on 3/5/15 4:54 am

Hi Guys,  I am a new member but have been reading the post for months now.  I am jumping thru all the hoops right now in hopes to be cleared for surgery.  My surgeon requires his patients to have an EGD (upper scope) done prior to approving surgery. So I followed the pre-procedure instructions to the letter and had nothing to eat/drink after midnight the day before the procedure.  The doctor doing the procedure found a large amount of food still in my stomach at that time and I was diagnosed with gastroparesis, which is basically food moving very slow from stomach to elimination, and had to reschedule the procedure.  The new pre-procedure instructions included liquids only the day prior to the procedure.  So to make a long story a liitle shorter, I now have had the EGD done and everything was good.  I meet with my surgeon this coming week and I'm just trying to figure out what to expect when I go.  Does anyone know how this might effect my surgery or recovery?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Kathy S.
on 3/5/15 5:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

You didn't mention what surgery type you are researching and or having.  May we suggest you post on the forum for your surgery type to reach out to those that are having the same surgery as you.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

LAP-BAND Forum

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We look forward to your updates

Regards,

Kathy S

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/5/15 9:16 am

it seams this issue was discussed before - on here in OH .. 

not sure if any of those people are still around..but it may help to see if they still are active 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Hislady
on 3/6/15 7:27 am - Vancouver, WA

I says on the article HALA B linked to that RNY can help the gastroparesis. I have it and it is horrible to live with. I believe mine was caused by my lapband so it just depends on what type surgery you are looking at. If it is RNY it just might fix it for you!

Smith8216
on 3/6/15 8:22 am

Thanks for the info and it is RNY that I'm looking into.

Thanks again, Lori

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1428 views