Acid Reflux and the best surgery

Patty59
on 3/4/15 7:02 am

Has anyone has the sleeve surgery that has confirmed mild acid reflux? Did you have any complications? My doc is stating he does not want to preform surgery because it is the wrong one, it should be the gastric bypass. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/4/15 7:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Reflux can be a big problem with VSG. The best surgery for resolving reflux is RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 3/4/15 8:23 am - WI

I had a VBG in 1986 and suffered from severe GERD from day one.  I revised to RNY and my reflux is cured.  I woke up from surgery with no reflux pain and not one moment of suffering since.  VSG can sometimes make GERD worse. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Cathy W.
on 3/4/15 11:18 pm

I had GERD bad!  It would wake me up in the middle of the night.  I had Gastric Bypass in 2001 and haven't had GERD since then.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Hislady
on 3/5/15 3:53 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with the others if you have reflux then the sleeve is not what you want to have done it is a high pressure system type surgery like the lap band is. That increases acid and pushes it up the esophagus causing severe damage, not to mention the constant pain. I know because I have it from the band and it is pure hell to try to live with. I am begging my GI doc to fix it so I can sleep at night and be able to eat a meal without it causing the horrendous burning. If you want relief or at least for it not to get worse the only surgery that will help is the RNY (gastric bypass). These  folks know what they are talking about!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/5/15 9:08 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The sleeve is contraindicated if you suffer from acid reflux prior to surgery.  The RNY is the best option.

Even though I didn't have acid reflux before my VSG, I have it now.  My surgeon says that 30% of VSG patients with no prior GERD history develop it after surgery.  I have to take a PPI every day to keep it under control.

I met a woman last night at a support group that had a revision from a sleeve to an RNY because her acid reflux became so terrible.  I wouldn't push my luck if I were you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/5/15 11:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your doctor went to med school and has performed LOTS of surgeries, and presumably made his recommendation based on all of that. Why would you want to override an expert opinion?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ktgrok
on 3/15/15 8:27 am, edited 3/15/15 8:30 am

The research definitely shows that RNY is the best surgery for reflux patients. Now that said, my surgeon says he will do a nissen fundoplication type wrap at the time of the sleeve, so still suggests the sleeve for me. But if he hadn't suggested that, and wasn't familiar with the procedure, I would go with RNY. My only reason for sleeve over RNY is a family hx of severe arthritis of the hands that I want to be able to take NSAIDs for if need be. I have only minor pain now, but that could change. My mother is crippled from the arthritis, and my aunt also has the same thing. 

this is what my surgeon does, from what I understand. (seeing him tuesday and will as more then.) http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1679-45082014000300287&script=sci_arttext

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1373 views