one more reason

Wendi74
on 3/13/15 5:54 am
VSG on 10/14/15

not that I needed another reason to do the surgery but today my doctor called and verified that I definitely have diabetes. feeling so down.  Cannot hardly wait for this six months to go by so I can get my sleeve.  I have to start Metformin...can anyone tell me what to expect on this med???

sleeve_scholar
on 3/13/15 7:01 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Don't worry, Metformin is a very easy solution to a temporary health condition. I too was diagnosed with diabetes during my vsg process and I was immediately taken off the medication. There was any side effects and you usually take it twice a day, mornings and evenings. It will all pass soon do don't stress over this and the best part is that this helps you with getting insurance approval even easier.

caliannie
on 3/13/15 10:45 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

It's easier said than done but don't feel down. Six months will fly by and you'll be on the road to better health. I've been jumping through the hoops for a year and hope to have surgery in the next 6 weeks or so. Still waiting for my surgeon's office to give me a date.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

tiga
on 3/13/15 12:53 pm

It made me nauseaus.

Poodlemac
on 3/14/15 1:44 am, edited 3/14/15 1:47 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I had abdominal pain from metformin. They finally took me off and I did shots of victoza. I think metformin is supposed to be a very safe medicine for most. It just didn't agree with my system in any form.  

Happy to say I left the hospital after RNY off all diabetes meds. 

Fyi, there are many studies about the effect of WLS on diabetes. Be sure you choose the most effective surgery for all your comorbidities!

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/15 2:40 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I know it's tough and this seems like a setback, but try to look at the bright side -- the less time you've been diabetic, the more likely it will be resolved with surgery, and you're already well on your way to that point! I had a ton of issues with immediate release metformin (constant stomach cramps and diarrhea 5-8 times per day), but had none at all after I switched to the extended release version. Also, whatever you can do now to lose weight even before surgery will help for sure. I've been able to stop 2 of my 4 diabetes meds just with what I've lost pre-op, and dropped my A1c from 7.0 to 5.8.

Kiwideb
on 3/14/15 6:04 am
VSG on 01/19/15
Glad to know I'm not the only one that metformin treated badly (over time, not immediately). Went on to glipizide and was a much happier camper. I've not had meds since surgery, I'm now just sitting above 100 pre meal, and my A1c has dropped from over 8 to 7.1 in 2 months! Loving my sleeve just for that!
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/15 12:55 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

That's interesting, because I didn't have any problems with metformin initially either1 But it started to give me problems right around the time I developed intestinal angioedema from lisinopril, and the confounding side effects from the metformin confused the docs and made it take 7 months in and out of the hospital to figure it out! I stopped metformin, but even the combo of glipizide, Januvia, and Bydureon didn't work as well for me, so I was glad to find out metformin ER was available...on 1500mg/day now and no more issues! I've dropped the other three (and added Invokana, which has worked WONDERS), but I hope to be able to join you in the no-DMII-meds camp soon!  

Most Active