RNY or VSG

Alit
on 3/16/15 5:01 am
VSG on 03/27/15

So I just met with my surgeon.  Going in I was all set to have VSG done.  She is recommending that I have RNY because I have 140 lbs to lose and I have occasional heartburn when I eat fatty foods (controlled by TUMS). She feels my reflux will get worse with the sleeve and I will lose more weight with RNY.  My concerns (which I shared with her) are that, as I get older, if I develop any kind of health issues and need medication, I want to be sure I don't have absorption issues.  I also have heard it is easier to regain with RNY than VSG.  She informed me that the opposite is true, that it is easier to stretch the sleeve rather than the pouch.  For now I am still signed up to do VSG but she says I can change to RNY prior to my surgery.  My surgery date is the 27th!!!!  

Any advice or opinions?? 

Thanks!

bikrchk
on 3/16/15 5:37 am

I'm not sure about regain stats with one over the other, but I do know from personal experience that the sleeve is a reflux inducing surgery. My doc and I talked about my risks beforehand at length as I was diagnosed with silent GERD right before I was scheduled for the sleeve. They found a hernia in the EGD contributing and were relatively confident they could fix and I might not have issues but warned me that revision to R\Y was the "only" cure if I ended up with uncontrollable reflux.  I've been fine, (the first month SUCKED, but got better after adding a second dose of omeprazole). Symptoms are under control now, but I still take the PPI 2xday and maybe always will. Good luck in your decision.

Sweat is fat crying

zann50
on 3/22/15 5:47 am

LOVE your "Sweat is fat crying"

Zann

VGS- 2015

caliannie
on 3/16/15 7:20 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago. My surgeon and the 3 other consultation seminars said patients with Reflux are not good patients for VSG it could make it worse. Ive chosen RNY for that reason. As for future need for medications it's something to keep in mind you definitely want your doctor to know you had surgery so they can factor that into your care plan. Good Luck on the 27th. I'm still waiting for my date. 

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Judi2
on 3/16/15 8:13 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I had my mind made up that I would have an VSG but when I went to my consultation with my surgeon and he told me the same thing. I had already done my research on the VSG, had two colleagues who had the VSG and I had seen their successes. It took me a few weeks to come to terms that he was right. I have not had one episode of reflux since my surgery and my weightloss has been great!

Best wishes to you!

MAchick
on 3/16/15 9:33 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I worried about having the vsg with my reflux,  but it actually helped it for me personally. Not saying it would do this for everyone,  but my reflux is completely controlled with just one prilosec a day. 

Fleur
on 3/16/15 9:38 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

I don't know that I've seen much evidence of the sleeve stretching out, except when using a really large bougie size. And even then I can think of one case. I too was very concerned with malabsorption so I went with VSG.

molfish62
on 3/16/15 10:26 am
VSG on 03/07/15

I had/have reflux like yours. Not a daily thing, but when it happens a few tums & I'm good. I really, really didn't want RNY. It's a great surgery for so many, but not for me (IMO). 

Spoke with my surgeon prior to going to Mexico & spoke with my internist. Both thought it would be fine to do VSG if I monitor my reflux closely & take meds if needed. I've not had any heartburn since surgery, but I'm only just over a week out. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Thebiggestloser
on 3/16/15 10:59 am
VSG on 11/19/14 with

Regardless of the surgery you will lose however much weight you put your mind to. You do what feels right inside and don't look back!

cabin111
on 3/16/15 11:45 am

This is a general rule (no bashing please).  If you are over 50 and have more than 100 pounds to lose, the RNY will be better suited for you.  You need to lose the weight quickly since you have stressed your heart and kidneys for many many years.  I believe the RNY will get you there.  The sleeve is ideal for the person who is about 35-40 years of age who needs to lose between 60-80 pounds (ideal candidate).  Anything falling in the middle could go either way...But I would lean on the doctor's advice.  That sleeve person could go back and get an RNY or DS if it was not effective many years later.  Concerning the reflux I had one issue, for 2 days.  I haven't had an issue since.  I'm 8+ years out.  Just my thoughts.  Brian