Man, what a slow down

Willie H.
on 3/18/15 5:17 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I know it is due to high expectations from what we lose in the first couple of months but it really amazes me how the weight loss slows down so much! I was just going over my graph and on December 30th, 2014 I weight 273 lbs. Now on March 18, 2015 I am at 263 lbs. 10 lbs lost in 2 1/2 months or 77 days. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative. It is a loss and not a gain and before WLS I would of been ecstatic to lose 10 lbs every 2 to 2 1/2 months. I know I should not compare but it seems that so many at my time period of about 7 months have lost over 100 lbs, 120 lbs and so forth. I'm probably older than most and maybe because I've tried so many diets in the past that it affects me. I do exercise and also I eat protein first and drink a lot of fluids. Guess I should not complain, although there are many who have lost more than me at 7 months, i'm sure there are those who have lost less. Different strokes for different folks-have to remember this is a marathon not a foot dash! So please don't think I am taking this for granted, ungrateful or not satisfied in my progress, I am. Like in golf, my friend sometimes says "I'm thinking too much and not doing too much" Guess I just have to realize that WLS is only a tool, not a miracle cure or magic pill and that we have to do the work. We have to work hard to change ingrained habits, negative thinking and past routines every day. So to those newbies, or those at the point I am-still somewhat new-and who like I, will experience stalls, plateaus, even weight gain and fluctuation at times I say "Just be happy that we are on this journey getting healthier and keep working the program everyday!" The goal is good health and along the way the results are weight loss. Don't get mired in the 'woe is me' complex. Use this forum often. Sometimes we need  encouragement and a pat on the back, and, well sometimes we need a straight shot of reality and a kick in the butt! But all in all - its a good thing! Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/18/15 5:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you tracking what you eat?  Measuring your portions?

Doing these things helps to keep me focused and honest about how many calories I am consuming in a day.  It was ignoring my caloric intake prior to WLS that got me to 449 pounds.  I look at it as my personal accountability and responsibility.  When you see the number creep up, you'll know why you're losing less weight.

But that's not the entire equation.  Weight loss will slow down over time.  Optimizing the first six months is the best opportunity you'll have.  And it's all about adapting to a healthier lifestyle.  

Tomorrow will be my 15 month post surgery anniversary.  For the last couple of months, my weight loss is averaging about 7 pounds.  During the first six months, it averaged around 14 pounds; the second six months was 11 pounds.  I could attribute this to the time it's been since I've had surgery, but it's also a factor of what I eat now that I didn't eat then.  I've added fruit and can eat larger quantities if I don't measure out portions.

As long as you're losing weight, you're headed in the right direction.  Keep up the great work  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kathy S.
on 3/18/15 5:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to think of your Weight Loss Journey as a "marathon, not a sprint"....

You are doing great and don't compare yourself with others, we are all different. Use other tools for measure of success like measurements, photos, clothes fitting big, more energy, endurance and strength. I had months I didn't lose 1 pound 

Stay the course, mix it up from time to time and you will get there

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tracy D.
on 3/18/15 6:15 am, edited 3/18/15 6:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

OK, Willie - by my calculations you've lost 70 lbs. in the last 29 weeks for an average of 2.4 lbs. per week.  That ain't bad, my friend!  

I think you have a great attitude but I would really be looking HARD at what you're eating every day:  are you being faithful in tracking every mouthful of food, are you keeping it clean and low-carb (40 grams a day or less) and keeping the protein high (80 grams a day or more), and are you getting at least 80-100 oz. of water a day.  

If you can answer "Yes" to every single one of those, there is no reason to worry about your eventual success.  However, if you aren't walking the walk then you need to tighten things up so this gradual slow down doesn't become your maintenance level.  You know what I mean? 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/15 11:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Perfect answer.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

StacyJo44
on 3/18/15 11:42 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

Just a couple of things to think about. I agree with the mention of tracking and accountability for your carbs and protein. You might also consider if you are getting ENOUGH calories? If you're getting your recommended allotment of carbs and you're getting the high end with protein and keeping fats in check (I was told around 30g a day) then you'd be looking at roughly 750 calories a day, but maybe that's not enough and your metabolism is sluggish due to low fuel availability? I know the initial concern is that we're getting too many calories, but the low end can be a problem too. Maybe a call to your clinic nurse? Also, I know you were working out and we had talked about building muscle and you know that muscle weighs more than fat, so if your weight loss on the scale seems low to you, are you also taking measurements? Because if you are adding muscle while burning fat, you will offset the numbers on the scale as far as weight loss, but should see leaner numbers with the tape. And of course, as a male, you're ability to build muscle comes much easier. The main thing to celebrate here, is that you're still losing and enjoying a more active life. Sure we'd all like to see the fat just melt off as fast as possible, but you're still in your first year, it's the winter months, and slow downs are not uncommon. The body does seem to go through adjustment phases, Perhaps as the weather warms up, as you stick to plan, you may see some periods where the weight loss increases again too, but even if it stays this course, it's still one with the weight coming off! Your positive attitude is inspiring and right on! Slow but steady still gets you to the finish line my friend! In the mean time, enjoy the journey and keep sharing your wonderful posts!   

Willie H.
on 3/18/15 11:08 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks guys! Sometimes I just need a reality check. So easy to fall back to bad or even no habits. I did stop entering my food in MyFitmessPal and I stopped tracking and measuring, instead relying on my eyes and my sleeve getting full or uncomfortable as parameters. Kudos on the warm weather thing. That will help because I will start walking more and I also plan to eventually start jogging or (double-timing) as we used to say in the Army. I am building more muscle, matter of fact I just had to buy a new suit because I am swimming in the one I bought in December so I guess inches are coming off.

I have to see my NUT tonight and my surgeon tomorrow morning so between them and this forum I'll get back on track. Of course a few weeks later I'll be back on with another concern!  Thanks guys!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1459 views