Has anyone tried adding unflavored protein powder to milk?

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/15 6:39 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi everyone! As I get closer to surgery, I'm trying different protein options. I've been drinking Weight & Inches shakes for breakfast for years, and they're definitely my favorite, but they aren't nearly as protein-dense as other options. My favorite part is that they thicken...the reason I can't stand so many others (like Premier) is that they just stay the consistency of water. But I was thinking, I absolutely love skim milk, and there was a point when I could easily drink a gallon in a day if I didn't limit myself. Has anyone had any luck adding an unflavored protein to straight milk? Does the flavor of the powder (because "unflavored" doesn't really exist) make it undrinkable? I'm afraid to buy an unflavored tub of protein and not like it. My husband got an Unjury sample pack, but we both already tried the unflavored packets in other things, and it looks like they only let you order one sample pack per household from their website. If I don't find some more options for my first couple weeks, I might just mix my W&I shakes with half as much water and eat them as pudding instead!

emelar
on 3/24/15 6:55 am - TX

Unflavored in milk would probably taste like monkey's ass.  As you mention, "unflavored" doesn't really mean that it has no flavor.

If you want protein pudding, such a thing exists.  But immediately post-op, pudding is probably too thick a consistency for your swollen stomach to tolerate.

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/15 6:58 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thank you, that's a very good point about consistency -- I like the thicker shakes NOW but probably won't tolerate them as well post-op. Fortunately the Unjury chocolate is pretty good too!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/24/15 10:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can't speak to unflavored, but I put vanilla powder in skim milk and it comes out just fine. You can also get "protein plus" milk at Safeway that has soy protein added, and it doesn't taste much different than regular 2%.

You can add protein powder, flavored or no, to regular sugar-free pudding as well. Chocolate powder in chocolate pudding got me through the first few weeks after surgery! The texture is already thick, so it didn't seem strange at all.

Check the vitamin stores in your area, many will sell individual packets of different brands of protein powder to try. Most of mine nearby have at least chocolate/vanilla/strawberry in a couple of brands. You can also check places like eBay for assortments-- I got a multi-pack of Syntrax fruit-flavored powders and paid about fifty cents each for a whole bunch of them.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/24/15 7:42 pm

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

zann50
on 3/24/15 11:42 pm

You may consider using extracts found in all grocery stores in the baking section.  Almond, coconut,vanilla and many others.  It turns plain into GREAT!

Zann

VGS- 2015

cknapek
on 3/25/15 4:18 am - Shabbona, IL
RNY on 11/21/14

I found I, a milk lover, have actually quit drinking milk due to calorie content and make my protein shakes with unsweetened or reduced calorie almond milk or just  water. I experiment with liquid sweeteners and abstracts as well as add a part of a banana for flavor and thicker consistency. I bought a2 gallon size of unflavored protein powder, which I don't regret, but it doesn't break down well with hot foods and does indeed have some sort of flavor. .. soooo I use it in conjunction with other flavor shake mixes. My new favorite is a cappuccino flavor that makes my morning extra awesome.  

I never thought I would EVER give up milk and cereal. Ever. Things are just prioritized so differently now though. The new tummy real estate space is so limited and valuable now! 

Can't wait to hear how you do! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/15 5:08 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, I love the phrase "tummy real estate."  =)

hollykim
on 3/25/15 4:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, 4FurKids wrote:

Hi everyone! As I get closer to surgery, I'm trying different protein options. I've been drinking Weight & Inches shakes for breakfast for years, and they're definitely my favorite, but they aren't nearly as protein-dense as other options. My favorite part is that they thicken...the reason I can't stand so many others (like Premier) is that they just stay the consistency of water. But I was thinking, I absolutely love skim milk, and there was a point when I could easily drink a gallon in a day if I didn't limit myself. Has anyone had any luck adding an unflavored protein to straight milk? Does the flavor of the powder (because "unflavored" doesn't really exist) make it undrinkable? I'm afraid to buy an unflavored tub of protein and not like it. My husband got an Unjury sample pack, but we both already tried the unflavored packets in other things, and it looks like they only let you order one sample pack per household from their website. If I don't find some more options for my first couple weeks, I might just mix my W&I shakes with half as much water and eat them as pudding instead!

have you looked at the nutritional stats on these shakes? Not the best absorbed protein to start with and the second ingredient is sugar.

they are not goodnow and will real not be good post op.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/15 5:10 am
RNY on 05/04/15

That's a good point, thank you for bringing that up. I looked at the nutrition info (and the vitamin/minerals added) but never thought to check the ingredient list or the QUALITY of the protein. What's interesting is I started drinking them 12 years ago as part of a medically-monitored weight loss program through a doctor's office. It's starting to make sense why they never fill me up for the amount of protein in them, though!