Self esteem/self confidence issues?

Sandie E.
on 3/29/15 2:29 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

So after a very hard heart to heart with my husband today I am wondering if I need to see a therapist to help me build self esteem/self confidence. I think it has improved a little since surgery but I also think that I still have issues. Someone would think after losing 140 lbs you would be very confident and feel beautiful, but that's not how it works when it's something you have struggled with your whole life. I guess I push him away when he tries to be intimate and apparently I give him a disgusted look. I was not aware of this and did not ever mean to make him feel this way. I am thinking it is me, not him.  Any advice or anyone else gone or going through similar?

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/15 11:46 pm

I think we become a little freaked out about our saggy skin and we don't look at our good attributes. I think seeking therapy is a good idea. I think a mental tune up is a good thing.

Maybe also get your hormones checked out also. You may be off.

Our lives have changed in so many ways. Some days I feel I can do anything and others I want to crawl into a hole and hide. Mostly that is from depression and anxiety and not wanting to deal with real life's problems. 

Keep the line of communications open with your husband. 

hollykim
on 3/29/15 11:54 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 29, 2015 at 9:29 PM Pacific Time, Sandie E. wrote:

So after a very hard heart to heart with my husband today I am wondering if I need to see a therapist to help me build self esteem/self confidence. I think it has improved a little since surgery but I also think that I still have issues. Someone would think after losing 140 lbs you would be very confident and feel beautiful, but that's not how it works when it's something you have struggled with your whole life. I guess I push him away when he tries to be intimate and apparently I give him a disgusted look. I was not aware of this and did not ever mean to make him feel this way. I am thinking it is me, not him.  Any advice or anyone else gone or going through similar?

well,are you disgusted with the thought of sex?

Sandie E.
on 3/30/15 12:56 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I wouldn't say that I'm disgusted but I would say my drive is definitely different and sometimes in my head I feel like it's work and other things like sleep take precedence. I would also say that I am self conscious of my flaws and I always have been but they have changed a little. 

Mary Gee
on 3/30/15 7:07 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Sandie -- I had my VSG on the same date you had your RNY.  Went to my first therapy session today, because I've accepted the fact that I need some help in the head department.     I feel better already.  I've read time and time again, surgery fixes your body, not your head.  I think most of us have issues of some type, and I'm hoping therapy will help me out.

Good luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Catwoman77
on 3/30/15 10:43 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi Sandie - my DH and I have recently had a very similar conversation. He and I had vsg within a month of each other, which I thought would keep us from having the marital problems that can be common with wls, but sadly that is not the case. I believe that I don't see myself accurately any more, and I'm researching therapists in the hope I can work out some of these body image issues and hopefully help my marriage. I don't have any advice for you, but I thought it might be reassuring to know that you are not the only one going through this type of thing. Good luck to both of us on navigating these tricky self esteem issues!

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Sandie E.
on 3/30/15 12:31 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Thank You! 

Most Active