Ketosis

teach2
on 4/16/15 9:06 am
RNY on 12/23/14

ive read that some of you use ketone strips to be sure you stay in Ketosis. I just got some and I have only a small level of ketones in my urine. I eat less than 30 carbs a day! If I have a "bad" day, I'm always less than 50. What do I need to do? Is this why I'm losing so slow?

Thanks so much for your advice.

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/16/15 9:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I wouldn't depend on those Ketone strips too much. I used to use them back when I was on Atkins. Everyone loses at different rates so slow downs & stalls do happen. You might be losing in inches. Stay with the plan your dr has for you & the weight will come off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Chilipepper
on 4/16/15 1:44 pm

I use them, I have for years. They keep me honest. As long as you are purple you are in Ketosis. I check first thing in the morning. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

WereYorkie
on 4/16/15 5:02 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

As an old time Atkins-er, I can tell you save your money. Ketone sticks are not reliable. There are too many combinations of food that will give you a false positive. 

Do you weight and track your food intake? If not, start doing so so others can see a list of what you are eating and help make suggestions. If you are... feel free to list a day of intake. Feel free to message me. :)

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Chilipepper
on 4/16/15 10:59 pm

They are reliable.  As an old Atkins dieter also, they are completly reliable and will help you stay on track. You will be able to see how your body responds to different foods. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

WereYorkie
on 4/17/15 7:59 am
VSG on 05/11/15

To begin with, the ketosticks aren`t accurate for telling you if you are doing low carb correctly. Ketonuria is based on individual kidney function, glomerular filtration, hydration and the specific blood level at which you "spill" ketones.

You can turn the sticks every color in the rainbow, not be doing low carb correctly, and gain weight. You can do the Atkins Induction perfectly-- to the letter, lose weight and inches and never change the color on a stick like I did. And I've lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks. *lol* 

Colette Heimowitz, the Atkin's Nutritionalist, did away with recommending the Ketosticks in the 2010 book revision and states that anyone under 50 grams of carbs is naturally in ketosis. Whether you've found your "sweet number"-that number that is the difference in losing, maintaining, or gaining is a whole different story. Part of Induction and slow adding foods back into your diet truly is about finding out which foods you react badly too. Me? Wheat products, corn, and even some dairy makes me bloat instantly like a balloon! I literally bloat up overnight with 2 pounds of water weight. Bleh!

Now, with all that said... the sticks can be a good motivator for those who need it. Any psychological pick me up that says, "Good job! You ate healthy! Do it again!" is perfectly fine in my book. But if you think you are doing Low Carb perfectly and the sticks are in deep purple, and you still haven't lost any weight, I can see where someone would simply give up. 

Chilipepper
on 4/17/15 8:51 am, edited 4/17/15 8:52 am

When you reach goal and maintain it for 7 yrs using Ketostix. We will talk. The newer, Sharon Osbourne branded, politically correct version of Atkins is not the version that is worth anything. I still have my Atkins Diet revolution book published in 1972.  It's served me well over the years. You do it your way. I DID it my way!

also,in reference to the corn bloat. Corn turns to surger. I haven't had a kernel of corn in 15 yrs. Carbs are carbs. Fruit,vegetable or man made processed. You eat corn you won't stay in ketosis. You eat pure protein you will. 

MAchick
on 4/17/15 10:49 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I don't think the actual color of the strip matters. Sometimes it may be lighter depending on the concentration of your urine. For example, the stick may be lighter if you drank 100oz water as opposed to 60oz water. If you're in ketosis, you're in ketosis. I can always tell by the taste in my mouth. Every person has different ways of knowing.

Chilipepper
on 4/17/15 11:15 am

Yes, it doesn't matter what shade of purple it is as long as it's purple. I find my weightloss slows down if I get to dark. 

zann50
on 4/18/15 1:01 am

As an Atkins lifestyle from the original book, circa 1970s, I continue to believe that Keto testing once a day is an accurate predictor of managing carb intake....for me.  What I love is you may not move the scales but, inches will melt!  That is what very high protein and low to zero carbs does for me.  I do my best to stay under 20gms/day and not focus on fat.  I may be new to WLS but not new at all to the true Atkins theory of eating.  South Beach and many other diets are jus****ered-down versions in my opinion.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Most Active