50 and over??

dancerchick06
on 4/17/15 7:25 am
RNY on 01/07/15

Hi Everyone,

I am not over 50 but I am writing about my father. He is over 50 and considering surgery but was told by his physician that it wasn't a good idea and that the doctor basically didn't believe he could recover.  I am just looking for stories and examples of people that are over 50 that have had success.  He has diabetes and is struggling with that as well as problems as a result to it.

-S

Corrie33
on 4/17/15 7:31 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I'm 52 and 9 1/2 weeks post op from RNY and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life!  I had no co-morbidities, though (no diabetes or hypertension or sleep apnea, etc)... but I have a total of 120 to lose.  There were people in my class before surgery that were older than me... one that was 75, and she was approved.  I don't know if she went through with it, but she was approved. 

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

Cathy W.
on 4/17/15 7:36 am

There are lots of people have had weight loss surgery past 50.  Did your father's physician give him reasons as to why he didn't think he could recover?  I would find out the specific answers and not give up considering surgery based on his physician not thinking he could recover.  

I would encourage your father to have a consult with a couple of bariatric surgeons to get their opinions as well.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

bac527
on 4/17/15 7:53 am

Hi,

I was 60 when I had my surgery and I've done fine. I was on medication (oral) for diabetes, high cholesterol medication, and CPAP for sleep apnea, but no huge medical problems overall. Possibly a second opinion would answer some questions. Good luck.

Hislady
on 4/17/15 8:04 am - Vancouver, WA

His age shouldn't be a problem but it could be his other health issues would make it a risky situation. I would want more specific reasons than just age, as has been said  by others many over the age of 50 have had one of the major 4 surgeries altho I would strongly urge avoiding the lap band as it has many complications! But any of the others are great surgeries!

SKmammabear
on 4/17/15 8:28 am

I turned 51 (18) days after my NS surgery.  I really didn't have complications, but was very weak for a while (that's normal!  I was under for 9 hours)  I was borderline diabetic, had high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc.  My recent labs showed I am NORMAL - no more diabetis, no more high cholesterol etc!  If I were your dad, I'd go to a different surgeon!  Get a second opinion!!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/17/15 9:20 am - UK

I had surgery wen I was 56.  Unless your father has serious other risk factors caused by the diabetes, I can't see why a 50 year old would have problems. It's hardly old! So I must assume there are other factors. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ladytazz
on 4/17/15 10:02 am

Is his doctor concerned about healing issues due to his diabetes?  WLS can be very helpful in controlling and even in some cases eliminating diabetes.  

A consultation with a good WL surgeon will be help to access his risk.  If his health is very poor it may not be worth the risk but in many cases in can be achieved.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

White Dove
on 4/17/15 10:30 am - Warren, OH

I was 59 and my personal physician said people just gained all the weight back after surgery.  I decided to prove him wrong.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/15 11:00 pm - OH

The surgeons that I work for frequently do surgery on people over 50 (as someone else said, that is hardly old, although it may seem that way to you)!  We often do it on people over 60.

There must be something related to his diabetes or whatever other conditions you are referring to that is the concern rather than his age.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active