hunger after sleeve

NatasaElias70
on 4/18/15 11:51 am

Hi I had my surgery April 15. I am a little confused.  Sometimes I feel.hungry. I thought I would not feel hungry at all. Theater first day they gave me chicken broth in the hospital I was able to have like 10 teaspoons. Then it hurt a little. 

What experiences have you guys had. 

NikkyBeauty
on 4/18/15 2:59 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Wow that's crazy! I'm 2 months post op and I still don't get hungry. Well are you taking a ppi? I know that the acid can mimic hunger and nothing feels the same so you might be mistaken what your feeling for hunger. Anyhow I've been on a ppi since before surgery! But you definitely shouldn't be feeling hungry! If your not on a ppi check into getting prescribed one, and if you are maybe it's head hunger!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Dan1962
on 4/18/15 10:21 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

My issues with hungry were the worst over the first 2-3 months.  For me it was head hunger.  I still have it from time to time but my go to is celery or carrots.  Once you can start eating normal or somewhat normal foods it will help both physically and emotionally.  In the early stages to get by it I would drink and get up and move which helped a lot.  Good luck.

NatasaElias70
on 4/19/15 1:24 am

Thanks Dan1962. That's exactly what I did last night. I'm writing down my experience and learning to take a drink or 3 ministers poon bites of yogurt then walking and it goes away.

God bless

kathkeb
on 4/19/15 5:14 am

There is some thought that hunger (especially early out) is caused by excessive acid --

Are you taking a PPI (omeprazole, pantaprazole, etc.)?  If not, you might want to discuss that with your doctor and see if you should.

I am not sleeved (Realize Band), but I have 'silent reflux' so I take pantaprazole daily.

Kath

hollykim
on 4/19/15 7:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, NatasaElias70 wrote:

Hi I had my surgery April 15. I am a little confused.  Sometimes I feel.hungry. I thought I would not feel hungry at all. Theater first day they gave me chicken broth in the hospital I was able to have like 10 teaspoons. Then it hurt a little. 

What experiences have you guys had. 

are you getting min 64 oz of liquid a day? Dehydration can masquerade as hunger.

sleevedin2014
on 4/19/15 7:46 am

If you are on full liquids, you may feel hungry.  I know a woman who was starving after her sleeve when she was on full liquids. As stated, make sure you drink your 64 oz. of water.  You will feel more satiated when you begin the puree stage.

MegZorar
on 4/19/15 11:00 am

I'm one of those who still feels hungry. Started a few weeks after surgery I think. The trick is not to actually allow myself to feel it, so I eat small meals every few hours.

NatasaElias70
on 4/19/15 12:42 pm

Megzorar I started being hungry as soon as the in came off. But I'm learning to trick my kind with water. I stick to 1 Oz meals. We just have to psychologically battle it out.

Luvmygs
on 4/20/15 1:28 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Right after surgery I was pretty hungry too. We're only taking in liquids in the beginning because we're allowing our sleeve to heal. Once you start getting more into soft foods, you'll start to feel your sleeve working. I'm now over 4 months and I feel great restriction. Remember to allow your stomach to heal and eat what's on your plan (VERY important). Good luck. Christine