Anyone had Vertical Sleeve Gastrecomy with (SIPS) Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing...

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/15 6:27 am

Curious if anyone has had this "new" sleeve surgery and how you are progressing, any problems? etc. 

Kathy S.
on 4/20/15 7:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi

We suggest you post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) for more responses.  Good Luck!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MsBatt
on 4/20/15 7:20 am

Try posting on the Duodenal Switch board. This surgery is a variation on the DS. It's also sometimes called a SADI-DS, which is confusing. They need to pick ONE name and stick with it, and it does NOT need to be one that implies it's a DS, because it ain't. (*grin*)

You will find some posters on the DS board who've had this surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/15 3:35 am

I couldn't agree more!! It's very confusing!! Thank you!!!

mljohns
on 4/21/15 7:08 am
DS on 01/27/15

Hi. I had the SADI-DS or SIPS surgery on 1/27. I have lost 35 lbs post op. No complications at all. I had type II diabetes for 15 years. And was on an insulin pump for 5 of those years. The day of surgery was the last day I've had any insulin. My endocrinologist took me off all my meds (insulin, Lisinopril, Simvastatin). The surgery (including removal of my gall bladder) took 6 hours. I left the hospital that night. The process after surgery has been really easy for me. No cravings. I have been able to tolerate most foods (still can't get done hard boiled eggs.

I was on the path of getting the DS and my surgeon(who does many many DS surgeries) recommended the SADI/SIPS instead. The malabsorption is less since the common channel is longer, but there is still a malabsorption factor. I've spoken with several SADI patients and none regret their surgery. Indeed it is a newer surgery and the long term statistics aren't in yet. However, from all the research I did, the results that have been recorded have been as good as the DS.

There is an invite only Facebook page for SADI folks if you'd like to take a look.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/15 8:56 am

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience and most of all congratulations on your weight loss and better health!  I chose to do this surgery and hopefully my insurance will approve it.  My fear is that they won't approve it because it's still "investigational". I have United Healthcare.   Again, thank you for sharing! 

Tracy