Consultation Appointment!

Shelby_XO
on 4/16/15 7:08 am

Hey all! I'm new here, and excited to be joining all of you. :) After researching for awhile, I finally decided to make an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon. It's on May 8th! I'm so excited to see what the weight loss journey has in store for me! :)

Ready2goNOW
on 4/16/15 8:27 am

Welcome Shelby!

I started my WLS a few months ago. I need to go thru 6 monthly nutrition classes before I am cleared in addition to other pre-op medical clearance appointments.

I was disappointed at first to have to wait so long and go thru so many hoops, but I am excited to report I am now thankful for all I am learning especially from the dietician. I have lost over 25 pounds already and expect to continue to lose right up to surgery.

So enjoy the pre-op part of this journey as well as looking forward to the ultimate weight loss after surgery!

Kathy

MsBatt
on 4/16/15 8:48 am

The best advice I can give you is: Research everything. I advise everyone to research all four forms of WLS (LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch) and decide which procedure is best for YOU before you even talk with a surgeon. Sadly, not all surgeons offer all procedures, and it's a rare surgeon indeed who will honestly tell you a procedure he doesn't perform might the best one for YOU. (The Ford dealer's not going to refer to the Mercedes dealership, after all. *grin*)

Given your BMI, I strongly urge you to look closely at the DS. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also got the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Shelby_XO
on 4/19/15 3:49 pm

I have researched all of them, and was actually looking more into the duodenal switch now. I'm still considering RNY, but I'll definitely be talking to my doctor and doing more reaserch. :) 

Most Active