High Protein food vs shakes

flame402000
on 4/19/15 5:40 am

Hello,

I am 3 months out from my sleeve surgery and I have lost 51 lbs. It has been a challenge for me to find protein rich foods to eat. If I make a protein shake, I can add protein powder and get 20+g of protein that way. But just eating 2 oz of food at a time gives only small amounts of protein. I would have to eat constantly to get 90g of protein a day that way. I don't want to live on a liquid diet. What do all of you do to get large amounts of protein in your daily diet?

Dan1962
on 4/19/15 7:07 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

At your stage I ate chicken (14g), tuna (13.5g), salmon (13g), beef (13.3), pork (17g).  Those protein numbers all equal for a 2 oz serving.  I was told to eat 5-6 meals/snacksper day.  Do the math it works out.  One trick I used to do was use Unjury chicken both flovored protein drink and then add actual chicken to it.  I could get close to half of my requirement in one meal. 

I know what you mean about eating constanly, but in the beginning it was neccessary.  I'm down to 3 meals most days now since I caan eat more and I must say I like it better.  Good luck and you can do it...

flame402000
on 4/19/15 7:33 am

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that when I eat beef, pork, chicken and chew, chew, chew...it feels like a lead weight hits my stomach.

Also, if you add the Unjury powder ( I use it too) to hot broth, don't you lose the protein benefit? The bottle says not to put the protein powder in anything over 140 degrees. Otherwise, I would use it in everything.

(P.S. I grew up in Rome, NY!)

Dan1962
on 4/19/15 7:54 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I use tap ho****er which is about 125.  It gets chunky above that temperature but I don't believe the protein value diminishes.  I have that problem with carbs...like lead in my stomach.  I also each string cheese, almonds, deli meet (low sodium) and cottage cheese.

Rome is bouncing back a little, its taken years......

kathkeb
on 4/19/15 8:46 am

The protein powders 'clump' when added to hot liquids, but they do NOT lose their protein.

You can add it to warm liquids and mix well -- and then heat.

Many people add protein powder to their coffee that way -- add a small amount of warm liquid --- or even milk/creamer to the protein powder to dissolve it --- and then add it to hot coffee.

Kath

flame402000
on 4/19/15 8:53 am

thank you! How would you add it when making scrambled eggs?

MegZorar
on 4/19/15 10:56 am

Speaking of eggs, I add eggs to stews, soup (kinda like egg drop) and just regular meals to squeeze in a little more protein when needed.

MsBatt
on 4/20/15 7:27 am
On April 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Pacific Time, flame402000 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that when I eat beef, pork, chicken and chew, chew, chew...it feels like a lead weight hits my stomach.

Also, if you add the Unjury powder ( I use it too) to hot broth, don't you lose the protein benefit? The bottle says not to put the protein powder in anything over 140 degrees. Otherwise, I would use it in everything.

When heated, ALL proteins unravel, so to speak. This happens when you cook your food, too. Think of it as a 'first step' in the digestive process.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On April 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Pacific Time, flame402000 wrote:

Hot liquids don't diminish the protein.

To avoid clumping, add the powder to room temp liquid, just enough to make a smooth slurry. Then add that mix to hot liquid, and it won't clump.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 4/19/15 2:30 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My surgeon recommends having one protein shake a day during weight loss. I always make sure my shake is 16oz and 30g protein. It makes it much easier to get the protein in. I don't consider drinking it once a day 'living on a liquid diet'. I still eat. Cottage cheese has 15g for 1/2 cup. If 90g is your goal and you are eating 2oz or 1/2 cup at a time you would need to eat 6 times a day to come close to 90. That is why drinking the shake makes it easier.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active