Exercise Difficult for Pre-Op???

Ready2goNOW
on 4/20/15 11:08 pm

Hi!

I am in the pre-op process and will not be eligible for surgery until September when I complete my nutrition classes.

I have a question for you WLS vets...

I have been told to exercise daily as that will need to be a component of my recovery/new lifestyle. I know this. But despite losing almost 30 pounds since February I am finding just a 5 minute walk exhausting. Sometimes just moving around the house is exhausting! I have good days when I can accomplish my goals, but then go thru a string of non-productive days.

Did anyone else experience this?

I realize at 5'9" & 324 pounds I am dragging a lot around plus I am close to 60 so I don't have the energy I did even 10 years ago. I also have HBP, treated sleep apnea & atrial fillibration which makes my heart beat out of control. I am on meds to stabilize that & my HBP so I think they are also contributing to this fatigue.

I HAVE talked to my doctors who just keep encouraging me to 'do what I can' like a 5 minute walk.

Am I lazy, out of shape or have a legitimate issue?

Thanks for any feedback!

Kathy

Cassandra B.
on 4/20/15 11:22 pm - Alexandria, VA

Greetings,

I was in the same boat as you 7 years ago pre-op. No matter what I did, it was exhausting to me. I hated to exercise, or do anything for that matter, that is why I had HBP/diabetes and almost lost my sight because of my diabetes. A part of it was laziness honestly...I was just so out of shape/depressed, that I didn't want to do anything at all. That attitude had to change.

Try, no matter what to do some type of exercise...even if it's 5 minutes at a time.  If you do 5 minutes 6 times throughout your day, you've worked out for 30 minutes for that day.  Look at it that way.  It doesn't always have to be 30 minutes all at one time.

Do you best and continue to walk and eat right. You will be ready for your surgery in September, and I know you will be successful at it too.

Stay blessed and always encouraged.

Cassandra B. (www.tallnsassy.net or www.tallnsassy.com)

RNY in 2008 by Dr. Amir Moazzez (INOVA Fair Oaks Hospital, VA)

Patm
on 4/21/15 12:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If there is a warm pool in your community try walking in  water. It is a lot easier on the joints and a great workout. I did this pre-op. I am 63 atrial fib (almost resolved now) had diabetes, high blood pressure and hated to move. Now I love moving

christinerocks
on 4/21/15 12:51 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Hey Kathy!

Obviously I'm not a vet but I can relate.  i think you should do what you can, but schedule it and think of it in workout terms.  For example, if 5 minutes walking is all you can do, put on sneakers and walk 5 minutes daily.  Next week try for 7 minutes.  repeat until comfortable and then add more time.  

Because of my knees I got a stationary bike pre-op, which I found I could do much easier.  I did 30 minutes a day, 3x a week at first and worked up to 5x a week before surgery (and I was going at a much faster pace after 3 months). My stationary bike really saved me pre-op! If you think it might help you, look into it. The pool is also a great option, but at the time (mid winter) I didn't trust myself to get to the Y every day.  My bike was at my back door and I could just jump on and ride first thing in the morning, or in the evening.

As for walking - I wasn't allowed to use my bike post op and had to start walking.  All I could do at first was 10 minutes, but I did that.  I then tried to do it twice a day.  I'm now up to 20 minutes walking at a time, but I have fewer pounds to drag around which is a BIG HELP already!  The weight you're losing will add up and it will get easier.  Just try to be consistent and don't let yourself get injured.  

I hope this newbie advice is of some help. :-) 

hugs, Christine

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/21/15 3:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You have a legitimate issue.  Heavyweights like us have very difficult challenges related to exercise.

There was no way in hell that I could do much, if any, exercise prior to surgery.  My highest weight was 449.  The final straw for me to have surgery was the constant pain in my knees and back.  I couldn't walk 20 feet without feeling like I was going to pass out.

I bought a recumbent bike after surgery and used it, but not as often as I should.  It was much easier for me than walking at that point because my knees were still in pain.  When summer came around, I spent hours swimming in our pool and using water barbells.  That was enjoyable for me and didn't feel like "exercise."

After the summer, I began walking around our neighborhood.  I discovered that I can't stand being confined indoors to exercise.  I couldn't wait for it to end.  But walking outside was both physically challenging and mentally beneficial.  It wasn't until my weight was in the mid-200s that the pain in my knees and back miraculously disappeared.  

So my advice to you is if five minutes is all you can do now, then that's all you can do at this point.  When the weight comes off, you will feel better and want to be more active.  Also consider doing activities that add some movement into your routine.  Put on some music and dance for 5-10 minutes.  I know it sounds silly, but at this stage it might be all that your body can handle.  

No one is expecting you to run a 5K at this point.  The goal is an increase in physical activity.  When you go to a store, park your car far away to add some walking.  Consider buying a pedometer or FitBit or something to track your steps.  It's actually a great motivator to see your progress in numbers.

Hang in there.  It will get easier, but nothing at 300+ lbs is more exhausting than exercise.  Been there, done that.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/15 7:02 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm not a vet (yet), but your medical issues (particularly a-fib) can absolutely affect your exercise tolerance. Everyone has to start somewhere! I agree with your docs -- do what you can and build from there. 5 minute walks this week, then try for 6 minutes next week. For me, it helped to make "improvement" my only goal. I don't expect to be specifically doing X at point Y, but as long as I do more this week than last, I know I'm moving in the right direction. Good luck to you!

Hislady
on 4/21/15 7:20 am - Vancouver, WA

You know any activity is exercise even if you sit in a chair and march without getting up. That will help strengthen your legs till you can get around easier and then start walking. I have afib also and had physical therapy for it when I first got out of the hospital from treatment for it. My PT said to start with the chair marching and arm exercises until I felt stronger. He said over time I would feel more strength in my legs and I did. Then I could walk a little and then a little farther without getting so exhausted. It has taken years to be as deconditioned as we are sometimes and it may take years to regain that strength. So take it slow and easy and do what you can. Get a couple of cans of soup and do arm exercises while watching tv in the evenings. Even 5-10 minutes several times a day can quickly add strength and then you can add more time to your exercises. Slow and steady wins the race!

Ready2goNOW
on 4/21/15 11:07 am

Ladies,

I really appreciate all the feedback! My nutritionist kinda looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I could not do as much walking as she was recommending saying she had patients who outweighed me and were able to walk.

I agree with the assessment that depression plays a part in being unable to get motivated to do much physical...one of the things I realized the past few months is how far I had 'sunk' last Fall when put on a beta blocker that made me so tired I slept 12 hours/day & walking to my kitchen was a chore I avoided if I could get someone else to do it! I had never been so down physically!

I think the nutritionist made me question myself about whether I was just making excuses. I felt really down knowing how hard I've worked the past few months to follow my eating plan, etc.

I love to swim & we have a backyard pool so I will definitely be taking advantage of the swimming suggestion come June. It doesn't seem like such an effort in water. And starting tomorrow I will start doing the 5 minute walks after each meal as I never thought of it 'adding up' to the 30 the nutritionist wanted me to do daily.

I really love these boards and the support you get from everyone! It is just SO inspiring!

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond...every post made me feel better!

Kathy

christinerocks
on 4/21/15 11:39 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

So proud of you, friend.  You're going to rock this.  Do what you can, and it will all add up to success in the end.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Ready2goNOW
on 4/21/15 11:08 pm

Thanks Christine!

You're already 'rocking it!!!'

LOL!

Kathy

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1501 views