5 days post op vsg NO ENERGY

NoRegrets4Me
on 4/26/15 6:51 am
VSG on 04/21/15

I had my VSG on April 21st. I just have no energy and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I am meeting my goals of 60 protein and 64 ounces water since day 2. Just getting a shower or taking a short walk outside leaves me light headed. I'm thinking it's the drastic reduction in calories  (only 500-600)? When did you start to get stronger? Pre surgery I was healthy and active so I hate this feeling! I'm on full liquids for 4 weeks😯. I really don't see how I'll feel better until I can get in some real food?

ChillOutWayne
on 4/26/15 7:47 am
RNY on 03/02/15

I had RNY 8 weeks ago tomorrow, and thinking back to 5 days after surgery I remember not only being physically drained but also mentally drained as well. A lot of it has to do with the surgery itself and anesthesia, my Dr and psychologist  told me for every 1 hour under actual anesthesia it would take 1 month to feel "yourself" again. I was on clear liquids only, so zero calorie intake for 10 days post op and began to feel better each day starting at a week. It's really soon for you, as your body continues its healing process you will return to a more normal state, you're doing great with the water and protein so stick with it. To answer your question, I started feeling a lot better at about 2 weeks, but as time is going I just keep feeling better and better, at 8 weeks I am back to myself and then some. 

It sounded so cliche to me pre-op and early post up when I heard/read it, but things do improve quickly and you also quickly begin to put those rough times early out behind you and focus on the road ahead. I hit 50lb loss today and couldn't be happier, I wish you luck! 

Gwen M.
on 4/26/15 7:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You had major surgery 5 days ago!  Of course you don't have energy!  I started feeling more like myself after 7-8 days, but I wouldn't say I started to feel great until 2-3 weeks.  And, for some people, it takes a lot longer.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kathkeb
on 4/26/15 8:20 am

Yes, you will be tired for a while, as others have said, you just had surgery.

You have residual anesthesia in you and healing going on.

If you weigh enough to have WLS, you have plenty of calories in storage to get you through a few weeks.

Stick with your program, rest when you can, walk when you can and just allow your body to heal.

Kath

SKmammabear
on 4/26/15 9:59 am

Like the others have said, it WILL get better. You had major surgery!  I went to work 10 days post op and it exhausted me just to walk from the car to my desk.  Yes, I have a sit down job which is why I was able to go back that soon.  Each day you will notice more and more energy coming back for you.  Give it time.  One day you will go to bed at night and realize you made it thru the day without being exhausted! 

Brandi Girl
on 4/26/15 11:32 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Hang in there! Your body is still recovering and getting over the surgery. Also your body will have to get use too a LOT less calories coming in than it is use too! For the first 8 weeks I had problems with my blood sugar dropping due to no sugar coming in. AGAIN, hang in there you will get use to it and you will fell SO much better than you can even imagine right now. Best of luck to you.

NYMom222
on 4/26/15 11:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Day 7 was the first day I was like Wow, I feel so much better.... I still took a nap every afternoon for a couple of weeks.. and I am not a napper.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 4/26/15 2:05 pm

I think daily napping should be the rule for everyone post surgery.  It really helps!

LilyBeez813
on 4/26/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 11/12/14

This was MAJOR surgery, you need to recuperate!!   Give your self some time, keep the clears sipping and remember for the next few weeks baby steps!. DO NOT eat food. your body needs to learn to do with less, the goal of surgery. You should be used to lower calories and liquids/ clears from your pre op stage.  Call your surgeon and or coordinator they are their for your resource. From your notes you have a toddler at home, I hope you have help. Best wishes, keep us posted.

The journey has finally started!! Lily B~

Kate -True Brit
on 4/26/15 8:24 pm - UK

Couid be something to do with general anaesthetic, physical trauma to the body, drugs and low food intake!!!!!!  Sounds pretty normal to me. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active