Need a WLS friendly PCP in Memphis

madeline3456
on 5/2/15 11:51 pm

Can anyone suggest a weight-loss surgery friendly primary care physician in the Memphis area? I have seen two doctors for monthly weight-loss attempts. I now have to start over because the doctors didn't encourage or didn't understand the process.  I would really love to do this with a doctor who has actually gone through the process before. I know there has got to be dozens in the Memphis area who are familiar. Unfortunately, my surgeon's office hasn't been much help. For some reason they haven't been able to give me a clear set of recommendations. Maybe it's an insurance violation if they provide too much help, I don't know. I just want to get this thing started! I'm going through a breakup that feels like a divorce, and need some big changes in my life in order to feel better!

hl1524
on 5/3/15 5:56 am, edited 5/3/15 5:56 am - Austin, TX

My suggestion would be to find a center that performs wls and ask them for doctors that refer to them. 

I had my insurance company send me a form that my doctor filled out. It asked for date, weight, and a small field to write what was discussed like diet, exercise ect. It wasn't extremely detailed. I kept the original and every time I saw him he filled it out and kept a copy. That was enough to satisfy my insurance needs for 6 month dr supervised visit. 

RNY 8/27/2014

madeline3456
on 5/3/15 8:42 am

Thank you for this suggestion. I might try checking with centers other than the one I'm currently seeing. My insurance requirements say the doctor *****fers me can't be associated with my center. So, I'm thinking the reason my center doesn't provide a list is because they don't want to appear to be affiliated with any particular set of pcps. I'm not sure if other centers are able to be any more helpful. Talking to doctors about this is difficult. They seem really skeptical and know little about it. I just prefer to talk to someone who believes in the surgery or at least understands the benefits.

hollykim
on 5/3/15 7:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 3, 2015 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, madeline3456 wrote:

Can anyone suggest a weight-loss surgery friendly primary care physician in the Memphis area? I have seen two doctors for monthly weight-loss attempts. I now have to start over because the doctors didn't encourage or didn't understand the process.  I would really love to do this with a doctor who has actually gone through the process before. I know there has got to be dozens in the Memphis area who are familiar. Unfortunately, my surgeon's office hasn't been much help. For some reason they haven't been able to give me a clear set of recommendations. Maybe it's an insurance violation if they provide too much help, I don't know. I just want to get this thing started! I'm going through a breakup that feels like a divorce, and need some big changes in my life in order to feel better!

can't help with the pcp, but having Wls is not really something to do to feel better over a break up. It is a lifetime life changing event and you need to better prepared than " feeling better" from a break up,IMHO.

madeline3456
on 5/3/15 8:30 am

Thank you for your reply. I started researching/planning before the breakup and have been attempting to manage my weight my whole life. I am just more motivated now. WLS is life changing, similar to a major breakup/divorce. I would not do it if I was not sure.

Most Active