Portion/Eating Question

newmein2015
on 5/4/15 4:25 am
RNY on 04/06/15

As I am sure everyone has experienced post op, I am unable to finish pre measured portions.  I measured 2.5 oz of chicken for lunch and got full after a few bites.  I doubt I even got 1 ounce down. Question - should I set a goal to at some point during the day, finish that portion so that I get the protein in? Or, do i move on to the next snack/meal at the necessary time?  AFter approximately 1 hour, I was fine to eat a little more of my lunch, but I dont want to overdo it. In my head I am balancing not trying to hard to finish my food (pre WLS problem) with making sure I am getting in enough proteins/sustenance per day.

Thoughts? 

Corrie33
on 5/4/15 4:35 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I've found the most important thing is that you DO stop when you feel full.  Even if you haven't finished your pre-measured meal.  Listen to your new signals and put the fork down before you overdo it.  If I haven't finished a planned meal, I'll set it aside for an hour or so, and if I feel like finishing it, then I do.  Sometimes my pre-planned lunch ends up being lunch and dinner. 

It's hard to get in all the protein (even at my stage - 12 weeks), but I know I'll get sick if I pu**** so I need to listen to the signals and stop when I feel full.

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

Maria27
on 5/4/15 5:56 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I usually try to incorporate it into another meal or snack, but I absolutely never allow myself to eat more than six times (3 meals and 3 snacks) in a day. Doing so will set you up for grazing behavior later on. Plus it makes it more difficult to get in enough water without drinking too close to meals. Eating a meal so slowly that you are able to fit more in is how people eat around their surgery. I doubt you want to risk engaging in that type of behavior. If you can't get in enough protein, drink a protein shake. Once you are full, that meal is done. No more eating until the next meal or snack.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/4/15 7:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At one month out, few of us could eat 2.5 oz of dense protein. I think at that point I could handle about a tablespoon of tuna, tops! Your stomach is still swollen a bit and your capacity will increase a bit as you finish healing.

Your best bet is to err on the side of smaller portions and log ONLY what goes in your mouth. That will give you a more accurate picture of where you're at, and if you need to prepare more food later in the day to hit your protein goal, you can do so.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

poplargreys
on 5/4/15 9:54 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I can't finish a 2.5 Oz packet of tuna, but I can eat most of a 5oz yogurt. If I'm at work I will put my leftovers in the fridge and finish them a few hours later. At work, the dogs eat my leftovers ;)

Most Active