PreOp diet

newdawnh
on 5/5/15 2:42 am
VSG on 06/16/15

I know I will find this out once I have my preop appt on the 28th but was just wondering for a heads up how often do you drink a shake or other liquids (not including water) I am afraid of getting hungry and then cheating

kbmerritt84
on 5/5/15 3:22 am
with

Everything Im reading says 2 protein shakes a day and then a ton of water. You're going ot get hungry. You're going to be miserable. It all depends on your doc though.  Mine is only 3 days so I can live with that for 3 days. 

ChristineB
on 5/5/15 3:52 am, edited 5/5/15 3:53 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

I did not have a pre-op diet many moons ago - only liquids for a couple of days before. I did want to tell you that I think almost everyone gets hunger with a liquid diet. I had to do one when I had my adhesion's fixed a few years ago. I found that after the 3rd day the bad hunger passed and I was satisfied with the broths, jello and other clear liquids. Each person is different. Just foresee it this way that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and your surgery will be shortly at the end of the diet!

PS - I could only have clear liquids with this last surgery - no shakes.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

boxtop2006
on 5/6/15 11:23 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I had RNY surgery on 24 March 2015 and my pre op diet consisted of sugar free popsicles, protein shakes, broth, jello and greek (vanilla or plain) yogert.  I did not get hungry during my 2 week pre op diet as a matter of fact between the "food" and water you are putting something in your mouth ever couple hours. And I lost weight to boot! :)  Good luck!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Most Active